Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Introduction Tips PLEASE!  (Read 705 times)

cheebieman

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Need Introduction Tips PLEASE!
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »

I have a 2 year old male chinchilla named Cheeba. yesterday, i got a 2 month old male chinchilla named Rillo. I have their cages next to eachother, about 2 inches apart. i let my older male, Cheeba, free run and sniff Rillos cage. He got very 'excited' and started scratching at the bars of Rillos cage, and when Rillo appeared he made this angry sounding squeak/sneeze. I guess the noise scared Rillo so he started squeaking and ran into the corner to hide :(( is this a bad sign? did i ruin both of them forever?

I am literally losing sleep over this matter!!! please help with any tips or advice you may have!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Need Introduction Tips PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

Getting two chinchillas together takes time, lots of it.  And, since there is such a size difference between your two you need to wait a long while.  I always prefer that chinchillas be about the same size before a real introduction.  Otherwise, if there is a fight, the little one would be seriously hurt or killed.  Just keep letting them get to know each other in side by side cages for awhile.  Its enough that your new chinchilla is trying to get used to you and a new house.  He can worry about a new cage mate later.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up