Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better holder for hay available?  (Read 5276 times)

Faken

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
Better holder for hay available?
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »

is there a better quality hay holder other than the typical wire one that hooks on to the side of a cage that looks like this:

Half the hay just ends up falling out the back of the holder, through the cage wire and down on the floor after she starts pulling at the hay and eating it.  It makes a huge mess... you would think these would have a solid metal backing so keep the hay from falling outside the cage.  If there's nothing better out there, I think I make my own out of pine with a chicken wire grill on the front she can pull the hay through and hooks on the back to hold it in place.

The more I look at toys and houses etc for Chins, the more I'm realizing I should just make my own.

One other question though... I'm assuming glue is a huge no no when making anything out of wood for them, do you guys just use brad nails and make sure not to nail too close to edges where chewing could expose the nail ends?

I think once my home renos are done and my tool shop has returned to a normal level of organization, I'll start tinkering around with some custom goodies for Peaches :)  My workshop currently looks like this:

:2funny: :2funny:

3 years of home renovating almost done!!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Better holder for hay available?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:40:28 AM »

Glue such as Elmers Non-toxic glue is safe. I have used Aileen's Tacky Glue on paper toys that I have made without any problems. I recommend glue over brads because you don't want the ends accidentally becoming exposed and causing an injury. If you make the pieces interlocking you won't have to use very much. I used brads in part of my own cage design in a frame that is part of the floor. If the frame gets chewed to the point where I think there is a risk of exposure I plan on replacing it.

As far as the hay feeder goes I don't think you'll do much better. It seems like most types of hay feeders are dangerous. The best designs may be found in chinchilla boutique shops are custom made but I just put the hay on the floor. I do recommend that use 1/2" x 1/2" construction cloth, instead of chicken wire, with the edges carefully filed. I think chicken wire is too thin of a gauge and can be chewed through by chinchilla teeth. A poke in the mouth from wire can be fatal.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

SydChilla

• Chinchillas.org
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 50
  • # of Chins: 75
  • SydChilla Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • SydChilla Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:44:03 AM »

Hi!
I have tried a few different ways to feed hay to my 36 chillas, and i am resigned that i will clean the floor each day.  I put the hay either inside the cage or on topvand the chins pick it through the ceiling. I do have on hay feeder i purchased from this site: http://www.shootschinchilla.com/rummage-sale.htm that is simply metal and attaches to the outside of the cage. I still make a mess, and some hay falls through the bottom, but overall it might be an improvement. Another option for you is to purchase a cheap aluminum cooking tray, pound it out flat and put it behind your hay rack so that it extends 4" or more around it. That wouldvkeep the hay inside. I recommend some metal that isreally sturdy. Youbcould also back the hay rack with something the chins could chew & enjoy, like wood or cardboard. That could be easier to pierce with the wire rack hangers. Good luck!
There are no stupid questions.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »

good idea for people with just a few chinchillas is to stuff the hay inside of a toilet paper tube and place it inside the cage. Then is becomes a hay dispenser and a toy.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Faken

• View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Glue such as Elmers Non-toxic glue is safe. I have used Aileen's Tacky Glue on paper toys that I have made without any problems. I recommend glue over brads because you don't want the ends accidentally becoming exposed and causing an injury. If you make the pieces interlocking you won't have to use very much. I used brads in part of my own cage design in a frame that is part of the floor. If the frame gets chewed to the point where I think there is a risk of exposure I plan on replacing it.

As far as the hay feeder goes I don't think you'll do much better. It seems like most types of hay feeders are dangerous. The best designs may be found in chinchilla boutique shops are custom made but I just put the hay on the floor. I do recommend that use 1/2" x 1/2" construction cloth, instead of chicken wire, with the edges carefully filed. I think chicken wire is too thin of a gauge and can be chewed through by chinchilla teeth. A poke in the mouth from wire can be fatal.

Great advice, thank you.  So I can tongue/groove everything and just use the non-toxic glue, that should be adequate for toys and houses etc... it's not like it has to hold up any major structures or anything :)

Faken

• View Profile
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

Hi!
I have tried a few different ways to feed hay to my 36 chillas, and i am resigned that i will clean the floor each day.  I put the hay either inside the cage or on topvand the chins pick it through the ceiling. I do have on hay feeder i purchased from this site: http://www.shootschinchilla.com/rummage-sale.htm that is simply metal and attaches to the outside of the cage. I still make a mess, and some hay falls through the bottom, but overall it might be an improvement. Another option for you is to purchase a cheap aluminum cooking tray, pound it out flat and put it behind your hay rack so that it extends 4" or more around it. That wouldvkeep the hay inside. I recommend some metal that isreally sturdy. Youbcould also back the hay rack with something the chins could chew & enjoy, like wood or cardboard. That could be easier to pierce with the wire rack hangers. Good luck!

I was actually thinking this same thing this morning... I could just cut out some cardboard and use it as a backing... that would help stop anything from falling behind for sure.  Is just regular card stock like they use for toilet paper rolls OK?  I'm assuming that and cardboard from boxes with no printing or glossy coatings would be fine right?

Thanks again guys :)  I will probably still make a custom feeder and just use some stainless steel bars from a grill or something for the front and just cap it with some wood.  Good grief... just what I needed, another excuse to hide in my workshop hahaha

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »

Paper towels and tp rolls are safe. I think glossy is okay as long as there is no plastic coating on it.  I prefer to use food boxes when I give my chinchilla cardboard since the ink is supposed to be food safe. Stainless steel is good. Just avoid aluminum because chinchillas can chew through it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up