News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocks  (Read 998 times)

Devi Xiao

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Rocks
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »

Would anyone happen to know if flagstone is safe for chinchillas to chew on? I want to put a few in the cage since I hear that it's not good for chinchillas to always be on flat surfaces and that the stones will encourage the natural chewing on stones seen in wild chinchillas to wear down their teeth. I know that flagstone is sometimes sold as ledges in pet stores, but who knows what's safe from those places, right?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 06:46:27 AM »

There should be no problem bringing them in. I recommend scrubbing them with soap and water and giving them a good rinse beforehand. I am a little skeptical of them using it to grind teeth though. Chinchillas usually chew softer things like wood and pumice so I would consider it more along the lines of decoration or a nice cool slab for them to lay on. I imagine pet stores would be expensive for that you might try a hardware store. I use a marble slab for my chinchilla as a cool slab that rests on the floor. He sleeps on it although he prefers to lay on a wooden shelf most of the time.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up