Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye is stuck shut!!  (Read 3336 times)

c4566

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
Eye is stuck shut!!
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »

When I was feeding my chinchillas a few minutes ago I noticed one of my chinchillas eyes is stuck shut. I tried to gently open it and see what was going on. It's only opened a tiny bit but it looks almost like a thick skin of mucas is holding it together. Also it feels a little crusty. She's acting fine and it wasn't like that this morning!! Is this a possible reacting to something like if a cat were to scratch the eye? Thanks :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Eye is stuck shut!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:20:11 AM »

It does sound like the eye has been scratched by something. This usually results in an eye infection. My recommendation is to make a tentative appointment with a vet for tomorrow or at least locate a vet that is good with chinchillas. If there aren't any then find a vet that is experienced with rabbits. If the eye begins to clear up and is opened by itself by tomorrow morning you are okay. If not you will need treatment that usually involves antibiotics and painkillers. Be very careful about food and water intake. If you think it has stopped eating or drinking see a vet ASAP and be prepared to syringe feed. Most exotic vets will carry the supplies you will want for this. Pain from eye infections can occasionally cause anorexia that can kill a chinchilla and cause serious digestive complications that are difficult to manage if not caught early.
Also be careful that it does not go off its food during antibiotic treatment if given oral antibiotics since those often cause digestive irritation. You can clean around the eye with a damp q-tip. Having the eye stuck closed can cause complications if it stays that way for several consecutive days. If you see any irregularities on the surface of the eye such as a noticeable scratch or ulcer you should see a vet.

That is my non-expert advice.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

c4566

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 04:39:39 PM »

Thank you. I decided to not take any chances so she's going to the vet tomorrow at 10

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

Let us know what he says. Sometime on irritation or infection can clog the tear duct too, I flush with saline to keep the eye clean.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up