Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: mam just gave birth help  (Read 17888 times)

kay

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
mam just gave birth help
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »

Hi everyone my chin just gave birth one seems fine under her feeding and sqeeking but the other it is 42grms and eyes shut and not being able to get under mam properly help i dont no what to do i got her out cos it looked like mam was standing on her/him and he was cool but still moving help please
kay

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: mam just gave birth help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »

The 42g kit may be underdeveloped and dying. You can try to remove the healthy kit and see if the small one will nurse on its own. If it does then you can rotate the kits every hour. You can try feeding kitten formula with an eyedropper.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

Also you will need to open its eyes if it does survive. You can use a cotton swab and warm water to gently coax the eyelids open. Otherwise serious complications will present later.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »

thanks for reply but the smaller one died abt five minutes after i posted this very upset, have i to clean the cage out tmorow? the bigger kit seems to be ok fingers crossed

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »

I'm very sad for your loss. I hate to see animals die like that. It is something that you see on occasion with new litters in any species.

I would not worry about cleaning the cage except for normal cleanings. The fact the eyes were unopened is a strong indicator that it was not an infection but that the kit was not fully developed or had a birth defect. Chances are the bigger one will turn out to be just fine. Is this your first time with newborns? Is this one you bred?

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:19:58 PM »

I rehomed tham of someone who couldnt look after them anymore they said they were 2 males so was  a surprise this morning when found 2 babies ive seperated the male its a week since they were cleaned out so i was woried it should be cleaned out sooner rather than later what do you think thanks in advance kay

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

Certainly clean the cage if it needs it. There is nothing wrong with doing that. Also wait at least a week before you give a dust bath to the female and the kit to allow the female to heal up from birth. Be careful that the cage bar spacing is no greater than 1" x 1/2" or the kit can escape and die.

Separating the male was the right thing to do but this can be very hard on the male so make sure he keeps eating and does not get depressed. Make sure to keep the cages in the same room. If the surviving kit is male you may be able to pair them together once it is weaned. If it's female I recommend you keep it with the mom permanently since the female is used to living with another chinchilla.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:36:06 PM by GrayRodent »

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:02:00 AM »

Thanks a lot for your help i am going to clean the cage now and split their cage so the dad has the top for now till i no what sex the baby is then buy a new cage im hoping its a girl andd then she can stay with mam and i will get dad neuterd, i will keeep you posted  :)

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:07:40 AM »

Neutering is very expensive and is also very risky. It is not like neutering a cat or dog because their genitals are inside of the body. Complications can be rather gruesome. Your best option, IMO, if the kit is not male, is to attempt to pair him with another male chinchilla after you fully research what it takes to introduce chinchillas. If you decide to get the neutering done you want to look for a vet experienced with neutering chinchillas if at all possible and be willing to provide intensive post-operative care, and be willing to loose the chinchilla to possible complications.

Males are easier to pair than females but females can be paired with care. Also understand some chinchillas will not take to each other no matter what. If the kit is male you'll might want to try to pair the female with another and keep the pairs in separate cages. This is going to depend on how well the chinchillas take to being separated. I know some chinchillas die after being separated because they get depressed and simply stop eating and others do quite well by themselves.

Another thing you might want to consider is that you want two inches of spacing between the male and female or you risk them mating through the bars and if you bring in a fourth chinchilla there can be fighting through the bars. I highly recommend getting a separate care and getting ready for having two pairs.

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »

Yes i know about neutering and it can be dangerous ive asked my vet and he said he has done it befor with a great outcome but i dont know whether i want to risk it he's about 6 years i think it best to get a cage that i can keep them seperated but see each other, do you know how i will no if mam has got milk? thanks again

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »

Just be careful with neutering as sometimes they can get infections in their sutures after the surgery. It is easier to neuter than to spay though. I had one male who came out of neutering like nothing ever happened. He healed up fast and he did extremely well. His neuter was only performed because he had a hernia in his testicles and we were concerned he was in pain from it. On the other side of it, I've read of pet owners having to deal with infections with the sutures, or their chinchillas not eating after surgery. Requiring hand feeding, which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Depending on the problem, some chins did survive because their owners acted quickly, some didn't.

If the baby is nursing and the baby's tummy is full, then the mother has milk. If she doesn't have milk, babies can become a little volatile, attacking mom or chasing her around the cage and nipping at her.
Their tails will curl up at the end if they are nursing fine as well, and when they are not receiving milk, their tails tend to lie down flat, bellies do not feel full. If you see the baby lying under the mother for long lengths of time, more than likely she does have milk though.

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »

Thanks for your help  :) ive weighed baby and gone from 45g to 47g in 24hrs and she seems to be under mum a lot but also walking around following her ive halfed the cage so dad and mum are seperate he's not happy though im going to let him out for a play around see if that perks him up i feel sorry for him i will keep you updated. I'm going to try and sex the kit in a couple of days i tried today and think its a girl  ;) but not sure. Kay

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Well got him out for a run and she went mad she wanted to be out aswell but what ive read you have to leave the mum in with baby is that right?

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

Do not let them out at the same time. The mom can become pregnant again.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

kay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

thanks i wont be letting them out together and ive read not to let mum out either, im just waiting now and hoping the baby is feeding its very stressfull i dont no how you breeders cope :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up