Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abscessed tooth...  (Read 1897 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Abscessed tooth...
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

Nibbles again had to make another trip to the vet. His appointment was for today...but I took him in late Tuesday for antibiotics and the diagnosis has to be an ab
scessed tooth! Rescheduled for Friday (today) Bad tooth out and Nibbles is already drooling less!
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
Re: Abscessed tooth...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »

I also got a lesson on chinchillas tooth bite and how they chew. By his showing me on a sketetal head of a porupine. Similar skull structure as a chinchilla just our guys are smaller. That Nibbles has a wonderful bite.

I also learned that after the lesson...the first vet we took him to trimmed to much off his teeth. But as we all know their teeth grow so not a long term issue. Because she trimmed his bottom front teeth down to next to nothing!
~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »

If one tooth was removed isn't the tooth above it going to overgrow?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »

The way he showed me with the skeletal skull their bottom jaw is not locked like ours. They can move it forward and back as well side to side. The tooth missing won't effect him at all. Because he still can grind it down with the other molars. Because of how their jaw is. The tooth was dead...he didn't even need his extracting tools to remove it.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »

It was a molar tooth not a front tooth. Tuesday when he mentioned tooth extraction...I was concerned about long term. He removes teeth from rabbits all the time. Once about 10 years ago on a chin. He said that chin never had another tooth issue after. And he still sees it.
~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »

That's amazing. I'm glad the problem was treatable.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »

It had to come out...because the tooth was dead. He said losing a front tooth is hard on them. But typically their back teeth they can adjust.

He said that the chinchilla he extracted a molar on a good ten years ago was just in for an eye infection. Never had an issue with his teeth again. That gives me hope.
~Darlene

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 12:41:04 PM »

Did your vet ever do a culture on the saliva in the chinchilla's mouth to ensure he didn't have possibly a mouth infection of sorts(there are various strains of bacteria that cause mouth infections.)? The abscessed tooth, the other tooth being dead, all sound like familiar signs of a mouth infection. From past experience, baytril worked well with a chin I had who had a mouth infection many years ago.

The only issue is, that I was not successful in treating it quick enough, and the mouth infection got into the bone, which caused a bone infection. Unfortunately for my boy, although the baytril would get rid of the problem for the short term, once off the baytril, the mouth infection returned. It was a constant fight for about 6 months. While on baytril, he could eat fine, his teeth grew in fine, etc... once off baytril, he had dead teeth, like you mentioned, abscesses, and teeth growing out of sorts (which mimicked genetic malo.), and was needing handfed around the clock.
It was a continuous cycle, but the first way we found out it was a mouth infection was culturing the saliva in his mouth.

A mouth infection can come from something as simple as a chinchilla cutting the inside of their mouth with a water bottle tip, or poking their mouth with hay, etc... and the bacteria being on that piece of hay can lead to that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up