Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sources for treats and toys?  (Read 2502 times)

notanotherxerox

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
sources for treats and toys?
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »

I have been looking at online stores and ebay to find dried herbs like rose hips and stuff and also looking for somewhere I can buy parts to make my own chinchilla toys but it seems difficult to find a place that I can buy it all at once to save on shipping. I'm nervous to buy toy supplies bc it may say natural but how do I know if the wood has been treated with something or the rope has chemicals in it. So I've mainly been searching pet supply stores, like tj chinchilla supplies just sells in bulk, but those places dont seem to carry everything I need or sell only in bulk.

Where do you buy treats? And does anyone here make their own chinchilla toys, if so where do you get the supplies?
Thank you for your time!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: sources for treats and toys?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

I know you can get items in smaller quantities from TJ's although they offer bulk items as well. I've ordered from them before.

I don't spoil my chinchilla like others do with toys and treats but he probably gets more attention than most. He has some pretty generic stuff you can get at a pet store including a lava ledge, a pumice stone block, a "Treat-K-bob" brand hanging toy (I contacted the manufacturer and confirmed they use vegetable dye), and pieces of parrot toys that my mom discards when she modifies them for her parrot. Rodents of any kind must have access to wood at all times to keep their teeth trimmed. Otherwise they can die of serious complications from overgrown teeth. Mine also has wooden shelves he'll sleep on and chew.

My chinchilla also likes anything paper and cardboard but he likes it too much and will eat cardboard to the exclusion of his food so I limit what he gets. He'll get TP and paper towel rolls, and he gets to play in a soda box when he's out sometimes. He also uses some plastic balls that I have but only under close supervision.

Printer paper with no ink on it is safe and so are cardboard food containers that are not plastic coated. So a cereal box would work but not a drink box. Certainly avoid plastic as it can get ingested and cause lacerations or obstructions to bowels. Cloth that unravels into threads can also cause an obstruction. I have used cloth handkerchiefs as a hammock without problems. My chin left the cloth alone but if you use any kind of soft materials you do so at your own risk. Some types of cloth are less likely to get chewed than others.

As far as treats I used to give raisins but now I give calf manna as a treat. I ordered that from TJ's and it's a good supplement for growing chins. It's very rich and too much can cause loose stools so you have to be careful with it. You can probably feed about a teaspoon of that in a day but only after the animal has had a week or so to adjust to it and only if there are no signs of loose stools.

Raisins are also good and can be attained from a grocery store. You can feed two a day and you can cut them up into smaller pieces. The sugar in the raisins can cause bloat if you give much more than that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

notanotherxerox

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Thank you for your help! I've been giving her paper towel tubes sliced down the middle so she cant get her head stuck and she likes those so I'm going to take your idea of giving her cardboard boxes.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/

here's a good spot to shop. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

TJ's is by far the best. She even does custom orders!
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »

There is also Susan with www.azchins.com in the US for toys and supplies. Very reasonably priced. :) She always sends extras to fill the box too.
I sell supplies too but I am in Canada - www.chinchillaparkplace.ca/chinstuffstore//
Pages: [1]   Go Up