Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uterine/Vaginal Discharge & Infection  (Read 11386 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Uterine/Vaginal Discharge & Infection
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »

I know this is not the most pleasant topic but I wanted to bring the subject up.  Hopefully none of your female chins will have this happen, but if they do maybe this will at least help and  give you a heads up on it.
I noticed my 3 year old beige female had some mild swelling around her vaginal & rectal area.  Her vagina was also clearly"opened up".  Usually the vagina is closed and looks like a small tranverse slit between the urethral cone and the anus.
I did research on this and spoke to several people who knew what they were talking about.  Apparently some female chins stay opened, but this is very rare.  And any time the vagina is opened up there is a very high chance of infection happening.
I kept an eye  on her thinking she may just be in heat but several days later she was still opened up and it started to drain a clear/white discharge.  We took her right to the vet for an exam, x-rays and a swab of the area.  She has a bacterial uterine infection and is now on SULFA for 10 days.
So basically the point to this post is always keep your eye on your female chin's female region to look for any dicharge or welling, or anything that is not normal for her.  Uterine infections can be very serious.  Checking your chin regularly can save her life!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Uterine/Vaginal Discharge & Infection
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »

Thanks Joyce,
You just never know what your going to see next do you.
Sharing is so important.
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »

::wave::  Hi Debbie,

You are most welcome!  Magoo is doing OK.  She is still opened and draining, but nothing has gotten any worse.  I guess the antibiotic just takes awhile, but I am keeping a close eye on her.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »

Since we are on the topic (and let's face it how often are we on the topic of chinchilla vaginal discharge)  :::grins::
I also had a chin who had vaginal discharge during the end of her pregnancy, she began excreting a brownish mucous; one vet trip later they found her kits placental sacs had begun tearing away from the uterine wall (in a way that is apparently not supposed to happen) and causing injury and a bad uterine infection. 
So (not to sound melodramatic, but...) breeders watch out for this!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »

::silly:: It is just as important to check the females for any problems as it is to check the males for fur rings.
I can see me now ... enter the chin rooms ..."OK, everyone ... butt check!" rofl
Abby,
 Wasn't that Rebekkah, the black velvet?  The brownish part of the mucous was blood and she died after the kits were born, didn't she?  How are the kits now?  How is Jamie and her kit?

Joyce,
  How much sulfa per gram weight of Mia was she getting?  Any problems with that?  How's she doing now?  Anything extra you do because she is on the sulfa.   ( I know, with some meds chins need extra water. )

::wave::
Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »

Yes, Rebekkah was the one that had the problem.  The secretion was actually caused by a uterine infection, and she did have a little bleeding as well.  She ended up having an emergency c-section to prevent any further infection, and also because both kits were positioned for breech birth.  She actually did very well the night after her surgery, but then she ripped her stitches open and ended up exposing her intestines (really gross, and scary!)  We rushed her back to the vet for another emergency surgery, but it was too much stress for her body I guess and we did lose her.  The vet delivered two live kits, but I had to have one euthanized when it became clear that she couldn't use her hind legs.  She just dragged them around behind her.  The other kit is a little sapphire girl, and after a few days of hand-feeding I was able to foster her out to another nursing mom, Cybil.  Cybil is an awesome mom, and the little sapphire is doing beautifully!  I am probably going to keep her, but have not decided for sure.  After all she has been through, I have gotten quite attached, even more so than with my other "kids".  The whole situation was very sad and difficult, but like you said with your chins and the bout with giardia, we mourn the ones we lose, but it makes us even more grateful for the ones we get to keep with us.   

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »

we mourn the ones we lose, but it makes us even more grateful for the ones we get to keep with us.   
Amen to that, it can be such a sad side of breeding.

Leaving on a better note,
Since we are on the topic (and let's face it how often are we on the topic of chinchilla vaginal discharge
:2funny: rofl :2funny:
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up