Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bald spot on tail  (Read 1683 times)

chillygirl

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
bald spot on tail
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »

Hi all, I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this topic has been covered before.

I recently noticed that my chin has a bald spot at the base of her tail.  I did some research and from what I've read it seems like there are three possibilities: ringworm, mites, or fur chewing.  She has been acting normal (eating, playing, etc) so I don't think she is sick.  The spot isn't red, just normal looking, whiteish skin with no flakes or anything.  I did notice her with her face near the area once but she moved before I could get a closer look at if she was chewing it. Do you think it would be possible that she was going near the spot because it is bothering her or does this sound like purely fur chewing? Her surroundings haven't changed at all so I don't see this as being stress related, so the only thing I can think of is boredom, I guess.

Does this sound like fur chewing to anyone? I just want to make sure she isn't sick.  I will try to get a photo of the spot on here if I can.  Thanks!

chillygirl

• View Profile
Re: bald spot on tail
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »

Here's a quick photo of the spot

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »

Does the fur on the tail look damaged to you? It seems much shorter than normal which can be a sign of fur chewing but it could just be your chin has short fur. Could it be fur slip from being handled by the tail?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chillygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »

It definitely looks shorter in the picture than in real life, but I do believe it is on the shorter side. It's not from handling because I don't handle her by the tail. Could possibly be fur slip from something else, maybe

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:08:41 AM »

I have handled chins by the base of the tail often and found that it takes a lot of struggling before you see slip there, at least on a tame chinchilla. Still, usually when it's a normal white skin underneath, fur slip is the cause.

If the skin turns pink or grows a red ring around it I would suspect fungus or if you don't notice any new hair growth in the next week or two. Tail hair takes longer to grow back than body hair which exhibits new growth in three days. There still is the possibility of over-grooming. If your chin seems obsessed over that area that would be my second guess.

Perhaps someone who has seen this before can comment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chillygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

I noticed the spot is getting larger now.  There is a red spot that looks almost like a cut, but other than that the skin looks healthy. I believe the original spot is starting to slowly sprout some hair, so I am guessing my original theory of fur biting is sounding the most likely, and she probably nicked herself a little.

Does anyone else have any input?  Anyone with a similar experience?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »

Usually fur chewing occurs on the back as well and you'll see damaged and rough looking fur. Since it's one spot there may be something going on. Because it is getting worse and resulting in redness my recommendation is to get it diagnosed by a vet.

chillygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »

I just don't trust any of the vets around here to know much about chinchillas so I know I am going to get the run around and waste my money. I've known people with rabbits, a more common pet, who have been in that situation. I was hoping to self diagnose and figure out if any medication was necessary so that I can know that I am getting the correct treatment.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »

With the skin broken there is a possibility it will infect. Most simple cuts will heal fine on their own. If it forms a lump with redness around it then you'll need to get antibiotics as a life-saving measure.

The most common causes for this kind of thing that I can think of (remember I am not an expert or vet) in the order of occurrence.

1. Ringworm. This can be treated by treating the chinchilla every day with a medicated dust bath. Usually it starts on the nose and face but it can start at the base of the tail where the fur is not as dense. Here's how to treat that: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3994.0.html
Also I recommend cleaning the cage every day until it's cleared up. Ringworm is very contagious and can re-infect the chinchilla if it is on the cage or accessories. There are other types of parasitic fungi that have similar symptoms but don't always form the red pattern characteristic of ringworm.

2. Dry skin. This can be caused by dusting too frequently or coming into contact with urine in the cage. Usually the feet are effected as well. I've seen this happen occasionally with owners who use Carefresh bedding or have no bedding in the cage. If it's this you can expect the feet to look red and irritated and scaly. Having pine chips piled up where the chin can lay in it can help. Dust only once every other day (at most) and make sure the floor is scrubbed and free of urine residue.

4. Mechanical abrasion or trauma from something in the cage that it's rubbing against.

5. Neurotic behavior that some chinchillas seem to have causing fur chewing. Here's more on that: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3993.0.html

6. Irritation from something the animal is allergic to coming into contact with the area. Usually the feet are affected as well. Sometimes this can be caused by food allergies but it's rare.

7. Fleas or mites which is very rare in chinchillas but can happen in individuals with low fur quality. You can look closely with a magnifying glass to see if you can see any.

Also now that the skin is reddened would you mind posting another picture? Perhaps someone who has experienced and seen this they might post. Also because you are seeing an escalation in these symptoms be very careful of food and water intake. If your chin goes off it's food you need to see a vet.
I hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up