Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aggressive Chins  (Read 1259 times)

danielle

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Aggressive Chins
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »

Some background:
I have two male chinchillas (GriGri and Dyno). I got them from a breeder at 10 weeks old and they are brothers. They are now about 2.2 years old. They have always lived together in a 2 story Critter Nation cage. They have play time nearly everyday at about 9:30 for 10-20 minutes (longer and GriGri will pee on the carpet). They take dust baths on Tues/Thurs/Sun. Their diet is Mazuri pellets, timothy hay, and water. They split one raisin once a week.

GriGri is bigger and fatter than Dyno. He has never been very active or social but does let me hold him for short periods without complaint and gets excited for dust baths and play times.

Dyno is smaller (but the vet said he was normal size and GriGri is the fat one) and adventurous. He doesn't like to be held or scratched but loves to jump/climb on things like boxes and shoulders.

PROBLEM:
In the past 2-3 months, I have caught them fighting on 3 separate occasions in the mornings. I hear angry noises from their room and come into to find them chasing each other (NOT playfully) and the little one (Dyno) has let out patches and patches of fur (ALOT). He usually gets backed into a corner and stays super still like he's terrified. One time I opened the cage and he ran out like he wanted to get away from GriGri in a hurry. After these occasions, I close the door between the 1st and 2nd stories of the cage and separate them for the day. By the end of the day, Dyno seems to be dying to get back to GriGri and they are super friendly towards each other. And then they seem to be ok for a couple weeks.

I can't figure out what is going on. I moved recently so I know they've been stressed but this started before the move/packing process.

I went to a vet for a checkup after the 2nd fight and she said they were both fine (well GriGri's fat). She said I could get them neutered if they were having behavior problems (I think she was referring to them humping each other too much). Is this an option? Why do they suddenly hate each other?

I've never been a pet person but I love them and am trying to make them comfortable and happy. This fighting is just driving me nuts. I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Aggressive Chins
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »

I'm not sure what to do. I know fighting is bad but separating bonded chins can also be bad. Sounds like you're doing everything right to me.
I would advise against neutering. I don't think it's going to change their behavior very much and it is a very risky procedure for chins. For a bonded pair sometimes if you loose one you'll loose the other from depression.

The mounting is likely dominance mounting. You have one animal that is assertive and the other is more passive. The assertive animal is making sure the other knows its place. As long as the other one isn't being denied access to food it should level out on its own. I imagine that will occur in cycles as you describe. If you see signs of injury though you may have to reassess.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »

You and your vet have checked to be sure both are males, right?  Are these the only pets you have?   

The only times I have seen this in bonded males is when a female in the same room comes into heat and they feel the need to fight for her.  Otherwise I'm guessing the other one gets a wild hair every now and then to try to challenge the pecking order.   I would suggest adding several small boxes or containers that will only hold one chinchilla.  This will give the guy a place to escape when the other one decides it is time to fight.

I wouldn't suggest neutering.  If it is a pecking order issue, which I suspect it is, the surgery won't fix it.  Females go through it as well.  When more than one animal is housed together they have to establish the order.  Most of the time is gets settled within the first few months and that is the end of it.  I don't know why your two keep feeling the need to reestablish it.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »

I have to agree with Jamie. Usually males only fight, if there is a female in the room that is in heat, or if one of them is a female (and the owner doesn't know it or was misinformed.).

danielle

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for all your comments.

They are definately both males. The vet and I have done hair ring checks on them and I've seen them both cleaning themselves. I suspect we would've had babies by now if one was a female. I do not have any other pets.
I'll be sure to put some single chin hiding spots in their cage. We haven't had any more fights yet but they are stressed from moving right now. Hopefully they start acting more normal soon!
Thanks again.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

Hard to tell what pees them off, but I just rescued 2 males that have been together from months old, though not related. The lady said they were fine then started fighting after 2 years together. I had to separate them as soon as I picked them up. The little one was getting quite the licking from the big one. Never came to her to separate them  ::)

They seem fine now after 3 months apart. Though they know each other is still around, but now there are many more too. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up