Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A round of antibiotic...  (Read 2894 times)

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
A round of antibiotic...
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »

It has been quite a long time...the chins have been doing great...until just before Christmas. We noticed Nibbles not eating and tossing his pellets on the floor of his cage. Then...drool. So a call to a local exotic vet and couldn't get in...drove two hours one way,to one who could see him that day. He needed his teeth trimmed...sent home with pain mess and critical care.

Then he seem good...then he started to smell funny. So called and got into vet near us. He had a sore on the inside of mouth. So he got a shot...and seemed to get better.
then I noticed his ear down...so trip back to vet...inner ear infection with oral antibiotics.  Forgot to tell me he was to get yogurt. So I noticed his teeth getting lighter. And softer stool. So fed him yogurt. But e stress of what he went through...he started chewing his fur. Non-stop mutilation...and occasional damp nose. Back to vet and on a different antibiotic...giving yogurt. Not seeing him chewing his fur today...so maybe the mess are kicking in. Because it was being symptomatic and making him chew more from irritated skin.

During this entire time...he was only sick looking and lethargic the first time...he now runs on his flying saucer wheel and eats. I continue with a small dose of Critical Care getting rid if their treats. Just hope we're at the end of this...

The vet said he would consider him sick...just symptomatic symptoms. And if he continues to chew...then he is to get a steroid shot Monday. But right now I'm not seeing him chew and his skin is less red.
~Darlene

cadillactaste

• View Profile
Re: A round of antibiotic...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »

I forgot to add...that he did take a bit of fur to make sure nothing is growing. Highly doubts it...but to make sure. As well as Fluffy seems to have an eye infection...took him as well this last trip and got an ointment from vet for his eyes...

4 years with no problems until now...but love our chins. And can't imagine not taking them...just hate stressing them with meds. But it can't be helped.
~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

I am sorry you are having these problems with your pet. I recently had a chinchilla euthanized after being diagnosed with malocclusion.

Your chinchilla may be having complications from malocclusion. When this occurs teeth usually have to be trimmed every couple of months to prevent tooth spurs that grow into the jaw and cause sores. Also, depending on the type of malocclusion, the roots can grow under the bad teeth and protrude into the skull and sinus cavities causing some of the symptoms you describe. Usually these will show up on an x-ray. These symptoms may return as soon as you discontinue medications if that is the case.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »

I mentioned that to the vet...at this time Nibbles is gaining weight and he is not feeling that the case. I appreciate your advice...and pass along my condolences to the loss of your chin.

He did lose weight initially, but has put on weight since his teeth trimmed. The store I purchased hay from changed brands...Nibbles didn't like it. We are back to going further to get his hay...so he'll eat it again. The first vet felt that was the original issue...his not eating hay.

He chews his lava stones and eats pellets. But again that is forever in the back of anyone's mind the fear of that...I mentioned it to him again last vet visit...and he told me he really didn't feel that the case...his teeth look good and are not needing trimmed...

~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »

That's great that it doesn't appear to be problems with malo. I know that kind of recovery is unusual.
I suppose an infection would have similar symptoms considering both eyes and ear was infected. That must be a particularly nasty microbe.

You may already know this but it is important that the full course of antibiotics are given as prescribed even after the symptoms are gone in order to prevent an antibiotic resistant microbe colony from taking hold.

Although the loss of my first chinchilla was sad it actually turned out better since I was able to get a young chinchilla from a breeder and it is a lot more tame and enjoyable to handle. My first chin was obtained third-hand and was not well socialized and very wild.

Did you ask the vet about the possibility of the exposed skin being a ringworm infection? That is very unusual for skin to be red and irritated unless the animal is habitually chewing it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:06 AM »

I am glad you have not let the loss of your first pet keep you for
 The joys of owning a chinchilla. We got ours 4 years ago from a breeder...they were just weaned and are really tame. Though Nibbles prefers to come to you verses you picking him up. Where Fluffy LOVES to be picked up and handled.

Thus the extra handling and what have you stressed Nibbles. The skin was only red where he newly chewed his fur. From irritation...and due to the irritation the vet stated that it was like a kid with poison ivy...he wouldn't leave it alone. You can see his skin...from how close he chewed his fur. But new fur is growing back already! He used to chew it when we walked into the room. But I haven't noticed the chewing and...his skin isn't red so the meds is helping that as well.

We didn't give all the medicine last time for his inner ear infection...but the vet said his ear is now clear...where it wasn't the time before when he was diagnosed.

Possibly he wasn't completely better...thus the sinus issue a stem from that inner ear that he had?
We'll give him the entire meds. 3 weeks worth.

Our vet just last week operated on a guinea pig and removed a tumor from it's bladder. He is an exotic vet...and I feel that he is capable of treating our Nibs. He said that he unfortunately has had so many little things...but his mouth was dry when there...and he just didn't feel that we needed to think of him seriously sick. A chin that gains weight while having symtoms...is a good thing. And he has gained weight each time he has been put on the scale. (three visits to this vet) He said he hopes to not see us in awhile. Being a good thing...and to follow through with the meds. But to call Monday if he is still chewing himself. But he felt the irritation was causing him to self mutilate his fur. The meds are correcting the irritation...and giving him relief.

Though he is seeing if anything grows from his fur he gathered...it can take up to 3 weeks to be sure nothing is growing. But he didn't see any issues with the skin to cause the biting other than us stressing him by giving him meds. And it getting irritated and causing him to chew even more.

I pray he is right...It would kill me to put him down. I am willing to try anything...at this point if the vet suggests it.

Nibbles and Fluffy have been together for 4 years...I know Fluffy would miss a cage friend. But also know it isn't easy to just replace a cage mate either. Praying this round of meds...and as you say...giving it all to him. Will do the trick.

~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »

Sounds like your vet is very thorough to do a culture of the chewed fur. I'm glad you found a good vet. The vet I had knew rabbits well but only had seen a few chinchillas.

I've never heard of that being done but if it's an infection it should show up on that. Typically with ringworm the hair falls out in a recognizable pattern that an expert vet would notice. If the hair is growing back it is probably not that but there are other types of microbes that can cause redness. Certainly mechanical irritation can't be ruled out.

You can't know for certain if the eye and ear infections are related without identifying the strain of microbes but because they happened so close together I thought it was likely but because the ears are now clear then it's probably not.

It is still best to administer the full prescribed course because you can't see with your eyes what's really going on with the infection. What sometimes happens is that the microbes affected most by the meds die first and the more resistant ones take longer to die. When you remove the antibiotics too soon those microbes multiply and take over where the weaker ones have died. These are harder to kill than the first. If this is done repeatedly you can end up needing stronger or different meds to solve the problem.

Eye infections in chinchillas are fairly common and usually respond well to meds. Some can look pretty gruesome too and still heal up just fine.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »

Sounds like you know a lot. Though the eye infection was the other chin Fluffy. I was afraid of a fungus that transferred to Nibbles since they cuddle. He highly doubts that...eye infections are rather easy to diagnose. But Nibbles ears are now clear so he is assuming a slight sinus issue. Because he gets a damp nose. Not often but chins shouldn't have damp noses. He was not showing any signs when we were there of course...only the skin issue and chewed fur was visible to the naked eye. Other than the fur he looks quite healthy...

Just gave Nibbles the yogurt at lunch time. I honestly feel he has stopped chewing. I see no more area chewed. And the redness to newly chewed fur is not seen. He loves the yogurt. Scarfs it down...he is getting a measured dose though which he could so eat more of it.

~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

I'm very glad to hear that. I am certainly no expert but I've had many pets and grew up around farm animals and had a lot of hands on experience with their care. Also when you hang out on this board for a while you see a lot of interesting problems people muddle through and I've learned quite a bit. I guess I missed the fact the eye infection was in the other chin. Those can also be quite contagious and it is certainly possible the same microbes have caused a sinus infection in the other. You may want to take the cage and clean it with a bleach solution (of course chinchillas+bleach fumes don't mix) and clean the accessories as best as possible and again when the other chin is done with his medications.

I'm glad your chinchilla likes yogurt. Mine won't eat it.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

Good part about cleaning the cage...though when I used my nebulizer when sick I was to clean it in a vinagar mixture. I would feel safer doing that...because it is what I typically clean all our exotic's cages down with. (we have a ball python,and also ornate wood turtles) I have cleaned the chins litter box with a similar mixture. But may just wipe it down all over...and more frequently while they are mending.

~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »

I hate to say it but vinegar isn't going to be strong enough to kill those kinds of germs. In fact vinegar is a poor disinfectant. I'd only use that if you can rinse it down with soap and water. If you aren't over-sensitive to bleach that is the best thing (I think a 6% solution is the standard for hospitals for cleaning floors and equipment). When it is dry it is no danger to any people or animals. It is the chlorine fumes that are potentially harmful when it is wet so you need good ventilation (or doing it outside) and definitely not with the chins in the same room since they are super sensitive to fumes.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »

I actual just got over 3 months of asthmatic Broncitis that towards the end was almost hospitalized. We couldn't even spray Lysol in the house. I've been cleaning my house with the vinagar as directed by my doctor. I tried using toilet cleaner and about did myself in. Not sure I can handle bleach just yet. Possibly I can get my husband to do it. Poor guy for a month was Mr.Mom because she didn't even want me smelling seasonings from meals that were uncooked.

My nebulizer stated to clean with vinagar solution...to clean it each day to get rid of contamination and germs. So...I would assume the vinagar to some point cleans something. But I'll ask hubby to clean cage parts. We have a smaller cage we call the tornado bunker we use to safely take them to the basement when it storms. It came from
Quality Cage it is their travel home. They can go there while cage dries.

~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

You definitely don't want to handle bleach with asthma if you can avoid it. Although I don't have asthma I find Lysol to be extremely irritating. Also most toilet cleaners are bleach based and are likely highly concentrated. One thing you might try (if they sell it there) is 409 cleaner. It seems to be less irritating than bleach, but definitely, not something to try until you're over your bronchitis. I recommend spraying it down with the cleaner and letting it sit there for five minutes before wiping it off with water.
I hope everything turns out well for you.

cadillactaste

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »

My husband stated he'll clean the cage out for me.

I am amazed at how good Fluffy's third eye lid looks. The redness is all gone. (though it was just an on set not overly bad when seen by the vet)

Nibbles I believe is feeling better as well. I don't notice the damp dark nose nearly as often. And I have not seen him chewing his fur. Which I am so glad to see him leaving himself alone.

But will continue with his meds as suggested.
~Darlene

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »

Awesome. Sounds like they are doing well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up