Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchilla + soap = ?  (Read 749 times)

macxhlovessnow

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
chinchilla + soap = ?
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »

So my chinchilla, Snow, was running around my kitchen which is quite chinproof. He got scared by a loud noise outside my house and ran into my kitchen table which wobbled it. Some hand soap that was sitting on it tipped over and about a loonie sized amount fell onto his fur. What should I do/ will he be ok?
 :::(((

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: chinchilla + soap = ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »

I'm sorry that had to be quite the sight! It might not be easy to get that off but it will need to be rinsed out to avoid skin irritation and ingestion. When doing this you'll need to make sure the animal does not get too hot or cold. Its fur regulates its body temp and sudden changes can shock him. (Imagine being very warm and then getting cold water poured on you). Except it's a little more dangerous because unlike us they cannot sweat to regulate temp.

The best way is to bathe in luke-warm water that does not feel either hot or cold to the touch. I recommend doing this in a room that is very warm and have a blow dryer and towel ready. Make sure your chinchilla does not get his nose under any water or it can be fatal.
You can use a cup to run water over the soaped area and keep rubbing it and running water over it until there's no soap. Then use the blow dryer without heat after towel drying and make sure there it's very dry.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up