Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't wean mom and son, what do I do?  (Read 1820 times)

SlitherinSisters

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I can't wean mom and son, what do I do?
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »

I've had my Chins for a year and a half. When I got them it was mom and her 6 day old baby. I'm 99.9% sure the baby is a male as was the person who had them-he used to breed them and someone dropped them off at his house. Anywho, I've tried weaning them 4 times. I tried right off the bat twice in my house, and twice more within the last year at my mom's house, but the female stops eating every time, the last time was for 2 months. The last time was really bad, I spoke with the vet because her system totally shut down from not eating for so long. They weren't experienced with chins so it wasn't a lot of help, but they said put her back in with the son and see if she got any better. They said I could bring her in, but I didn't really trust letting them experiment on her. Her stool was rancid and runny when she first started eating again, but she got better. She was skin and bones, but she's doing a lot better now, still not round and plump though.

Long story short, the vet said to just give it up and leave her with her baby. Her baby could care less about ever seeing her again, but she "cries" all night and won't eat without him. I have even tried putting their cages next to each other. I spoke with a breeder about it as well and they said it's not great if she gets pregnant by him, but most likely there won't be issues unless I keep inbreeding, which I do not want to do. I don't want them to breed, but I don't want her to die either. She has had a rough life, she is missing a bunch of toes, has a broken tail, and she won't let us touch her for anything. I'm pretty much throwing in the towel on separating them. I don't have another female for her to hang out with, I don't know if that would help, I'm totally out of ideas!!! I've even thought about getting a female for her to "befriend" then take her son out, but then I have the chance of two females getting pregnant.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: I can't wean mom and son, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »

Although I'm not a breeder or expert it seems like a good thing to do would try to introduce her to another female.
You might already know you cannot put chinchillas that have not been properly introduced into a cage together or they will kill each other. After they are introduced for a few weeks and demonstrate they won't fight each other when let out to run together (of course with the male left in his own cage), put the females together by themselves and see what happens.

Not all chins are compatible with each other so there certainly are no guarantees. The other option you might have is neutering the male but it is expensive and can have fatal complications. I hope one of our experts will comment soon.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: I can't wean mom and son, what do I do?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »

Females can be really nasty with each other.  I agree to just leave them together.  If they do breed the babies will be ok.  Just don't breed the babies.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up