Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sturdy cage for 2 rambunctious chins  (Read 2180 times)

nivvus

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Sturdy cage for 2 rambunctious chins
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »

I have 2 chins and am looking for a new cage. I have been using a homemade one(made by someone else not me!) but it has been slowly coming apart-- I got a 15" metal chin spin about 4-6 mo ago and they loved it so much that the tension/bouncing tore through the chicken wire making up the sides of the cage (it as a wood frame and "tree" with platforms for them to it n but they've really chewed that apart as well) leaving 2 holes.

So I am looking at the quality cages- they seem to have the best reviews and have no wire floors or plastic platforms or ramps to worry about--- BUT they appeAr, at least from the online pics, to be made of similar wire as my current cage and I don't want to get a new cage just to have the chin spin rip a hole in it!

The ferret/critter nation cages look like the metal is sturdier, but they also have the wire bottom grill, which I'm not sure if you can take out without the chin escaping-- does anyone know?

The quality chin mansion is about 250 shipped which is about the same as critter nation.

So I guess my ?s are...

1. Can the grill be removed from the ferret/critter nations with china still in it
2. Can the quality cages withstand vigorous use of the chin spin
3. Which do you prefer?

Thanks all!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Sturdy cage for 2 rambunctious chins
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »

I have a quality cage and it is very well made.  My complaint is that the pan is very shallow so shavings go everywhere.  We ended up buying some rabbit urine guards the help deflect the shavings.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »

1. You cannot remove the grill of the ferret/critter nation cages. Well you can but you will dismantle the entire cage. Each level has pans which has all the poop, etc on it which you can take off and clean that. The grill which what i think you mean is under that pan and they cant escape from the cage even if you remove the pans. All the pans are plastic so depends if your chinchilla like to chew plastic like mine wont. You can cover them with fleece or replace them with wood or metal.

2. I have a chinspin on my critter nation and the bar arnt gonna break its really strong.

3. Ether will be fine heard alot good things about the quality cages. ive only tried critter nation id recommend ether.

CarrieD

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »

I have several Critter and Ferret Nation cages - you can eliminate the wire grill between the levels permanently by not installing it, but you can't remove it to clean the cage. If you want to eliminate the plastic floor pans, you can buy metal pans made to fit at Bass Equipment, (search "ferret pans"). They're about 2.5" deep and work great.

The shelves in a CN are just a metal frame with a plastic tray - if you want to use them without the plastic you'll have to cut wood to cover the frame.

glafond

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

I have two Quality Cages, they are great. I have a Chin Spin in each.

You have to remember that Chin Spin is after all made by the same people who make Quality Cages, this being said they are more than compatable.

I would choose Quality Cage. I have the same complaint as chinclub though. But, quality cage does sell bedding guards to keep the bedding in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up