Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: breeding  (Read 1627 times)

chintastick

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
breeding
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »

i have 2 chinchillas one female that is about 8 months and a new 2 month old boy. i have been going threw introducing steps and so far they usually run to there corners, but tonight they are nibbling each other (witch looks like grooming) but he seems to jump on her back and she runs away. is grooming normal and is it a good thing since they just met?? and apparently chinchillas are suppose to be menstruating from about 4-6 months of age and ive never found any blood in the cage, is it possible she isnt menstruating at all? and is it possible that my boy could already be sexually active??
please answer as soon as possible, thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: breeding
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »

The female should not bred until she is at least one year old to prevent potentially fatal complications. She will not be fully grown and may not be able to handle the pregnancy or lactation. Males can be sexually active at 8 weeks from what I understand. I recommend you keep them in separate cages in the same room 2 inches apart until the female is a year old.
Also chinchillas don't usually bleed out when menstruating. If you see bleeding this could actually mean problems. You can usually tell by looking though to see if the female organs are extended and enlarged. When the time comes to breed I recommend getting a chinchilla club membership. You will gain access to articles and information on this subject.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:47:48 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

What do you mean they don't bleed out?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »

It is ok to breed at 8 months unless it is a mutation color.  Black Velvets, Ebonies, Violets, and Sapphires continue to grow up to and past 1 year old.  Standards, Beiges, and Whites are fully grown by 8 months.  I have always put my girls into breeding at 8 months with no troubles.

Like Grayrodent said, chinchillas don't bleed when they go into heat.  You won't notice any difference in her.  If you handle her a lot and look at her opening you will notice it is more open and obvious when she is in heat.  But that is the only change.

Grooming is a good sign.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up