Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: grooming  (Read 10409 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: grooming
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 07:15:39 PM »

::silly::We had a seminar at the Circle M Ranch (Lee Musslewhite), sponsored by the Chinchilla Club on grooming.  The slicker brush was one thing we were told would damage the fur on a chin.  There's an article in one of the issues of the Chinchilla Club Magazine.  Karen Hill of Alyssum Acres was kind enough to go through the various steps demonstrating the proper way of grooming a chinchilla.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »

The one I have been using is on the No side. I have tried the lent roller but they hate that. I will have to get a real chinchilla comb.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 08:28:49 PM »

::silly:: The larger-tooth pet combs are a good starter.  The ones that are very fine and close together are not. There is one on each side of the yes-no pictures.  (The ones with the large handles.)  Those two were made for cats/dogs.  One is acceptable, one is not.  It's best to have your chinchilla grooming combs if you can get them.  They are made for the chin fur and made not to damage it.
   Have you used a rubber hose on the chins?   ::Hairraising::  No, no, not to beat them ... to run quickly, but gently back and forth across the fur ... it creates static electricity and will lift loose fur from the chin's coat.  It's a little black rubber hose about 1/4 inch in diameter and about 12" long (or slightly larger).  It is used near the end of the grooming session, after it, comes the roller brush ... again moving lightly over the fur.
    Some breeders will even use what looks like a small metal coat hanger bent to look like a tennis racket (without the woven center) to move over the fur quickly to make it a "magnet" for loose fur. (You use the looped part on the fur, not the handle.  I had a lady tell me she couldn't understand why the 'loop' was so big, she had small hands.   :o   Yep, she was holding the loop and using the part that was the handle to rub over her chin!  :doh: )
    If you are 'tender-headed', then you know how gentle to be with a chin when grooming, if you are not, you will find out when he nips you.   ::)

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:34:06 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Stacy

• View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:02:31 PM »

I will have to try that. I know the hair seems to stick to everything in the house. I have there dust bath houses sitting beside the cages and everytime I move them there are hair balls flying.

tinabeana

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 08:14:07 AM »

Maggie throws fur a lot when we handle her, and its one reason we do so as little as possible. Could it be she needs to be groomed?

I wouldn't know where to start. I'm sort of afraid to try. I don't want to hurt her as I highly doubt she would sit till for any amount of time to comb her.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »

HI Tina,
It sounds like Maggie is nervous when you hold her.  Nervous chinchillas will shed like crazy!!  Once they get comfortable being held they don't do that anymore.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Lauren_201

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 11:15:54 AM »

I don't have a chin comb, but I do use the greyhound combs and they work pretty well. My chins are just pets though. I'm a dog groomer so I have all kinds of fun tools and the Furminator that really expensive thing works really well too, there is a cheaper form of it for around $10 at WalMart you could try.  :)
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

luvmychinchins

• Hi people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 06:20:34 PM »

this might sound wierd but, ::) for chins you could use a horse shedding brick, it looks like foam but it's hard and rough,it picks up hairs when they are shedding, they don't cost much either, and yes, it's totally safe for your chins.  it works really well.i know it sounds funny :2funny:but it really works, i go riding all the time and we used those on the horses and they worked really well so i bought a new one and used it on my chin, he really enjoyed it!
~Luvmychinchins~
It takes more muscels to frown than to smile!

chinlover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 06:42:32 PM »

is the Slicked Brush good for chinchillas?
shuld be

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »

I can't say about the job that the slicker brush does, but my chins hated it.  They will at least sit still and be calm for the regular combs, but the slicker brush really made them mad, to the point of barking and peeing (they made their point as we only tried that brush once).

Stacy

• View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »

I ordered a comb from Chin World and they hate it!  :flames: It did cut back on the hair every where in the house and they look a lot better. I don't think it was really the comb they had a problem with. It was having to sit still that long. The comb has sharp points and I was scared I was going to poke them so it took me a while to get threw.

mr.pudgy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 11:12:54 AM »

Hi,
I got the tender brush that is used on rabbits.  What I do to groom my boys:
1) Get a towel and fold it up and let your chin get comfortable on your lap
2) and just brush for the tail to the head. My boys make noise which scard me at first but it's not hurting them.  Just apply even and soft strokes and you will have a beautiful happy chinch!

Good luck,
Pudge :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up