Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: babies trying to mate?  (Read 626 times)

c4566

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
babies trying to mate?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »

My chinchilla had kits in June, i currently have the two boy kits together in the same cage and the girl in another, however they all run around together. When i was putting the chinchillas away today i noticed one of the boys trying to mate with another boy, he appeared to have sperm right under his tail and he wasnt trying to get away or anything. Im almost positive he didnt try to mate with the female so the few questions i have are
-How young can a chinchilla get pregnant? ( the girl is pretty small so im not even sure if its possible)
-Why wasnt the other male trying to get away and can this be harmful?
I would separate them if possible but i only have 3 cages.. if anyone can recommend a way to split them up with 3 cages it would be very much appreciated.  I have 3 kits as i said before, the two males are together in one cage, the female has her own cage and the parents are together in their own cage. Thanks
    -C

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: babies trying to mate?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

They are definitely old enough to breed. (I think the age is around 3 months and sometimes less). Male chinchillas mount each other to establish dominance and this is somewhat normal behavior from what I understand. But you better be double triple sure they are both males. It is not harmful as long they don't otherwise fight for blood and the aggressive one is not denying access to the food of the other. The female should not be allowed to run with the males. Chinchillas should not be bred until they are at least a year old. If she ever goes into heat this can happen in seconds. If you separate them the cages should be spaced 2" apart so they cannot injure each other or mate through the bars. This can also be done using two inner walls using construction cloth and wire if you're handy with tools and and have an idea of how to make it safe and effective. 

Hope this helps.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up