Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Store or Breeder?  (Read 903 times)

AngelaD15

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: None
    • View Profile
Store or Breeder?
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »

Hello, I've been doing some research on chinchillas and was worried about buying from a breeder vs store. I know there's comments that chinchillas have better tempermates when they are handled more as babies. There's a breeder that is about three hours away from where I live, but should I consider a store bought chinchilla insteed? I'm still researching a lot, not quite ready to buy, but would the car ride be to stressful for a newly purchased chinchilla? Thank you!

*Edit - There is a chance a breeder might be open real close to where I live but I'm waiting for an email back as their website is down.

In general what's better, a chinchilla bought from a store or breeder?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:56:39 PM by AngelaD15 »

glafond

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Store or Breeder?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »

From my experience on the forum chinchillas from a breeder are almost always better.

Normally, from what I understand, pet stores get chinchillas from breeders and are normally the chinchillas the breeder feels they cannot sell themselves.

The going rate for a "good" quality chinchilla from what I understand is $150-250 and thats from a breeder, yes some chinchillas can be more like closer to $1,000, but a good one is within the lower price range.

So a pet store getting a chinchilla and selling it for $150 means a breeder is selling it for way less than $150.

If you get a chinchilla from a breeder, you may even be able to meet the parents. I know for all 6 of my chins, I was able to meet the parents when I got them from my breeder.

Hope this helps!

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:23 AM »

I would recommend a reputable breeder, as they have more knowledge about your soon to be chinchilla's family history, health history and they usually are always there for you if you need help (pet stores aren't.). They also know a lot more about good quality care of chinchillas, as well as everything glafond mentioned too. :)

AngelaD15

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: None
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »

Awesome, thank you both! I'm going to go with a chinchilla from a breeder. Thanks guys!

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

Make sure it's a reputable breeder. You don't want to end up with a sick or Ill- tempered animal.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up