Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holiday Travel with a chin  (Read 1384 times)

TokiDokiWartooth

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Holiday Travel with a chin
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »

I am trying to find someone who can feed my Toki Christmass eve night and Christmass morning while we travel for the holiday.  So far, I am hitting a wall :-\.  If it's my last resort, any tips about taking her overnight?  It's cold in my region during this time so I am not worried about temps getting to high and I know to cover her carrier with a light cloth so she can feel safe.  She would be away from home pretty much for 24 hours if we cannot find someone to feed her.  I know this is gonna stress my poor little baby out to no end, but I can't find anyone yet to help.  Anyone know of a pet hotel in Pittsburgh area that would take a Chin?  Most are closed Christmass Day so I don't know if I would be able to pick her up.

I am still searching for someone that can help us just keep her at home, but I need a back up plan for the worst case senario.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Holiday Travel with a chin
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

We have to travel with our parrot on occasion and not all hotels explicitly allow pets but you might find one that will if you make arrangements ahead of time. It's easier with a parrot than a cat or dog because he is a caged animal with less of a damage liability. The worst case is that you have to just sneak him in. As long as you don't have to leave the room and the cage is covered up and out of security camera shots no one is going to know. I doubt anyone in the next room is going to complain of chinchilla noise.

Although there will be some stress people take chinchillas to shows all the time without any losing any chins so as long as she is healthy going out I wouldn't worry too much. I recommend using an artificial "fleece" cloth cover since it should minimize chewing potential if Toki does get a hold of it. When traveling make sure to keep the cage off the floor of the car because the car's drive train can put out a lot of heat.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

TokiDokiWartooth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »

We will be staying at someones house.  When I mentioned hotel, I literally meant PET Hotel.  We have them hear for Dogs, cats and other common pets, but not sure if they will take chinchillas.  Basically boarding pets. 

For those of you who do shows i guess, if you stay overnight somewhere, do you just keep them in a small colapsable cage or what?  We will be spending more time in the car then anything.  I would love to be able to take her cage, but it's too big to lug around like that.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:27:24 PM by TokiDokiWartooth »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »

You can leave her at home.  We leave home for 3 day trips all the time and we have a herd of 400 chinchillas.  Just make sure the water bottle is totally full.  If you are using a small water bottle put two on the cage.  Give her a second bowl of feed and extra hay.  Chinchillas won't over eat so she will only eat what she wants and save the rest for tomorrow.  Even if the worst happens and a water bottle gets stopped up or her food spills and she won't eat it, going 24 hours without food and water is ok.  Most chinchillas that are taken away from home won't eat and drink anyway because they are too nervous.  We see this all the time when we go to chinchilla shows. 

She will be much more comfortable at home without you than she would be going with you. :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

TokiDokiWartooth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »

Thank you! ;)  I was worried about her over eating.  Like I said, I REALLY didn't want to take her on the trip, don't want to stress my baby out!  I want her to be with me as long as possible and was really starting to stress over this whole situation.  I have 2 smaller bottles, but will put them both in, like you said and her food bowl is pretty large.  They hay is my only worry, she goes through it like nobodies business!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »

As long as she has pellets she will be ok without hay while you are gone.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

Whenever my family goes away for two days (never more) we have my best friend/upstairs neighbor check on Snix.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up