Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Chinch, chewing off fur  (Read 1171 times)

ceweber

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Help with Chinch, chewing off fur
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »

I have had my 3 year old chinch for almost 6 months now. He has recently started to bite his fur and as a result has a large patch of shorter/missing hair on his back. I talked to his previous owner about this and he has done this one other time, but it was when his playmate chinchilla died. I haven't changed the brand of food he has been eating, or the hay. He has access to water and food at all times. He gets 2-3 dust baths a week and he is in a low stress environment with no other pets and no loud noises.

I am gone quite a bit (school and work during the day, some weekends out of town), and I know they are social animals so I don't know if perhaps he is stressed from lack of social interaction and is taking it out on his fur? I try and let him out to play for at least an hour at least 4 days a week. I've researched the causes of hair biting but they listed things from genetics (how would I know) to a fungus (I know it's not that). I don't want to take him to the vet as this is only cosmetic and I am a poor college student.

I don't know if I should think about adopting him out to a family or someone who is home more often to interact with him, buy him a companion chinchilla (I've heard bad stories about this and not sure if I want two though...), or just try and be home more and keep him entertained with toys when I'm not home. Any advice or thoughts are welcome!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Help with Chinch, chewing off fur
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

I know some animals chew out of boredom and/or annoyance. Since your chin does have a history of fur-biting it could easily be genetic or predisposed to it. What is his cage like? Is it large enough for your chin to jump and play in? You might want to install a wheel if you don't have one and see if it has any effect.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »

I don't think it is genetic since he has already done it one before and stopped.  Genetic fur biters tend to start and keep doing it forever.  My guess is that it is boredom. I do not think you need to find him a new home.  Remember that fur biting isn't dangerous.  Its basically the same as a human biting their nails.  Just like humans, some fur chew when they are upset, some when they are bored and just not thinking about it.  The problem is, just like with humans, it can be become a habit that is hard to break.  Get him a wheel and some new toys and rotate the toys in his cage so he gets something new every day or so.  If you are feeding loose hay stuff it tight into a toilet paper tube so he has to work to get it out.  If you can distract him from his fur soon there is a good chance he will stop.  If it does become a habit it doesn't mean that he is unhappy any more that a person who chews their nails is unhappy.  Its just one of those ugly little habits.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

ceweber

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »

Thanks for the advice! His cage is around 3-4 feet tall. It has four levels connected with ladders and is wire mesh. Definitely large enough for him to run and jump around in. Then when I let him out he has access to my entire apartment (compete with my wood desk he so loves to chew haha). He does have a wheel as well as different little "homes" that are wood or hay so he can sleep, climb on, and bite/eat them. i should purchase some new toys though, I think his pumice stone and wood chews are getting boring for him. How often would you suggest rotating the toys in his cage? I definitely will start stuffing his hay in the tube- love that idea. Thanks again!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »

Every day or two.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »

Chins are like babies; they get bored of their toys every now and then, so switch them after noticing he ignores them.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up