Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question  (Read 855 times)

winterose

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Question
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »

So I have 2 females here at the house, my boyfriend works at a shelter and a one eyed, 6yr old male chin was just surrendered and he wants to know if i would take him.

I have a spare cage, since i upgraded my girls cage, i could theoretically take him in if i had my mothers permission.

But what am i looking at care wise with him and what am i looking at hormone wise with the two girls.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »

Typically you don't have a problem with females when a male is introduced into the room.   If he lost his eye due to an injury that wouldn't be a concern.  If he lost it due to glaucoma you could have other problems down the line.  My biggest worry, though, would be teeth.  Look at his front 4 teeth (two top and two bottom). Make sure that they meet in a straight line.  If they are angled or if one set of teeth are longer than the other it means there are problems with the molars in the back.  This means malocclusion.  Chinchillas with that genetic disease will need lots of teeth work to keep them alive and most times eventually have to be put to sleep. 

If you do get him be sure to keep him in another room for the first month just to be sure he is healthy before you place him in the same room as your girls.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up