Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a Great Home for Our Chin  (Read 2329 times)

Dr.Grant

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Looking for a Great Home for Our Chin
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

We purchased two young male chins for our 12 year old son approximately a couple of years ago.  One chin died in an accident about a year after we got them.  The remaining chin seemed to survive the loss of his brother without missing a beat.  My son has become very attached to the remaining chin and has been extremely faithful about the care and responsibilities involved in owning one of these animals.  However, our daily schedules have become increasingly hectic and it has become much more difficult to maintain a consistent schedule for the chin.  We have decided to explore the possibility of finding another home for our chin.

We are not interested in selling him or giving him to just anyone.  We take him out every night and spend time with him in a very large play pen.  He is very well cared for and we would expect nothing less from the person adopting him.  He has absolutely no health issues, has very rarely bitten any of us (just a nip telling us to “back off”), and has lived with another chin with no behavior problems.  He really has been a wonderful pet.  The only reason we have made this difficult decision is because we want the very best for him and our schedules will prevent us from giving that to him, especially in the future.

I am posting on this forum because I am not sure how to proceed and would welcome any suggestions.  We live in Gainesville, FL and would want to meet the potential future owners.  I can be reached at grantmcd@bellsouth.net

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Looking for a Great Home for Our Chin
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »

I am sorry you are having to make this difficult decision. You might also want to post in the Classifieds here http://www.chinchillaclub.com/classads/

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »

I don't know what you can do. Craigslist list wont get you that great people esp when you look at the ones for sales and there cage none of it is safe for the chinchillas.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »

You might also try the breeder directory http://www.chinchillaclub.com/breeder/  Sometimes breeders also do rescue and will take in and rehome chinchillas.  If you bought your chinchillas from a breeder try that one first.  I know I am always happy to take back any chinchilla that I sold that the owner can no longer keep.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:55 PM »

You shouldn't totally discount Craigslist. That is how I got mine and I don't think he is in a bad home at all. Perhaps you can put in the ad that questions will be asked about the kind of home it is going to. Unless you know the person or can find a reputable rescue that is the best you are going to be able to do.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up