Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chewing toys  (Read 1400 times)

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chewing toys
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »

Is there a site anyone recommends that can buy chew toys from. Or is the ones at petsmart safe ive heard and seen that alot stuff they say for chinchillas arnt really safe for them. So just wondering if a good site that can trust been looking at TJ's Chinchilla supplies anyone recommend that or other would help alot =).

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chewing toys
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

I've been shopping at Petsmart for my supplies. I know the treat kbob refills are that are the colored wood blocks are good. The coloring is vegetable dye. I checked those out because we bought some for our parrot some time back. Be careful because if the blocks get damp the dye comes out. My parrot likes to float them in his water bowl and it looks like cherry kool-aid. My chinchilla enjoys them immensely. Some of their hanging toys look good that have pine blocks and applewood. I think mine had a plastic piece that I removed. They also sell willow balls but usually there is a peanut in the middle. I removed that. It was his favorite toy until he obliterated it after two days. He also loves apple sticks that were bundled into a huge hanging toy that would have been too big for his cage. I cut the willow bands off and give him pieces of the sticks. He sometimes takes them from my hand like they are candy and chews all the bark off. There are many options if you're familiar with how to identify wood and are willing to make some minor modifications.

TJs looks like a good store to me. Although I haven't ordered anything I've looked around there extensively and may order some things from them yet. Petsmart stuff seems kind of pricey when you can buy toy parts in bulk from TJs.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

gasaraki03

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

"My parrot likes to float them in his water bowl and it looks like cherry kool-aid" made me laugh. Yea ill just try different toys like some of the ones suggested maybe modify some which have done with one already. Buying in bulk does seem like will save money in the long run. One i gave them sounded like your was bundled apple wood i believe was nice only downside what kept it together lasted a night so have 20 random wood pieces in my cage now.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:26:41 AM »

There are some stores mentioned here: http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/board,40.0.html

Not knowing where you are located, I usually recommend AZChins in Arizona for toys (very reasonably priced and she will custom dye and custom make toys for you too. All you have to do is ask!).  AZChins also gets their orders out super fast, so you never are waiting around wondering when it will be coming in the mail. Very fast shipping and excellent customer service. :)

I sell supplies in Canada (I do ship to the US too, but usually it is for bulk orders.) and my store link is on there as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up