Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: overheat?  (Read 1313 times)

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
overheat?
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »

hello,
 yesterday my younger chin with almost a year did a weird thing, it was a bit hot i picked him up to put cream on his feet and put him back into his cage after a while he started laying down on the floor but not on one side with his belly on the floor and kind of walking but like that in circles very slowly and one of his hears was like "stuck" in his head i moved him outside very slow and he was trying to walk normally but it seemed that he couldn't, when he was outside he went back to normal. 

was he overheating? his ears were not that red.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:16:27 PM by GrayRodent »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: overheat?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

Was there cream on his feet? Could he have been acting that way because he didn't like the feel of the cream?
If it was hot be careful. I have read that after a chinchilla has had heat stress in the past it can make it easier for that chinchilla to overheat.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

i've been putting cream at a long time ago i think it's not because of that i'm really worried how can you lnow if a chin is overheating or a convulsion ?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

I don't know of any hard and fast rules for convulsions. Sometimes it's not obvious. It depends on where in the brain the activity is and how bad it is. Different muscle groups, one side of an animal, or the whole animal can be effected. What you are describing kind of sounds like a seizure. Since you say it was hot and it stopped where it was cooler I strongly suspect it was caused by heat.

Overheating in chinchillas usually presents with red ears but I don't know if it's true every time it happens. If it is uncomfortably hot for you it's certainly way too hot for a chinchilla. What is best for them is actually uncomfortably cold for me. You can monitor the temperature of its environment with a thermometer. If the room temperature is high and the animal is active its body temperature can easily exceed safe limits.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:14:55 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Marip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »

I search it and found some things that he kind of did like throes and he seemed lost, i will talk to his vet.
 Thanks for your help. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up