Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kittens dont use litter box!  (Read 2058 times)

marchevie123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
kittens dont use litter box!
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

My friend brought me some pets left in her rental property,two of which are two kittens prob about 7 weeks and they wont use the litter box! Ive tried every thing they go in my plants and in my corners.Anyone have any ideas?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: kittens dont use litter box!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

You could try to time them between feeding and going potty and try to get them into the box when it's time. The easy way is to lock them in the bathroom with the box and make sure items like plants and things they can otherwise dig in are not accessible. Eventually they will be attracted to the box and when it starts to smell like them they should be more attracted to it. After they use it a few times you can open the door. I hope you have two bathrooms because you don't want your chins exposed to kitty germs. Unfortunately with kittens that age will have accidents and be inconsistent but they should get better over time.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

marchevie123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:27:41 PM »

Oh no can cats make chins sick,my old kitty has a weired relash ionship with my male chin they like to lay on the floor togatheir when I let him out in my bedroom for play time with me,they even groom each other some times.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:03:30 AM »

YES cats can make chinchillas sick.  A house cat who is up to date an all shots and is known to be healthy is ok.  A  "barn cat" or stray cats or kittens can carry all sorts of things some of which can be transmitted to your chinchilla if you pet the cat then hold the chinchilla and some are deadly.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up