Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chins wont get along :(  (Read 1922 times)

hanne1109

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
My chins wont get along :(
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »

Hi everyone  :) I have a problem with my chins not all getting along. Heres a little story about them. My cousin got twp chins and were told they were boys, until she ended up with two little baby girls. The babys were born on thanksgiving of 2010. Once they were old enough i got one of them from her and named her Dusty. I believe i got her towards the end of April 2011. They ended up mating again right away and they had a boy and a girl this time, so i told my cousin i would take another to give Dusty one of her sisters. Unfortunatly before i got my second one. They all got out of there cage one night and got into something they shouldnt have eaten. The dad and Dustys twin sister passed away. She had the Mom and they second set of babys left. Once they were weened she seperated the boy from the mom and daughter. They were in cages right next to eachother. She decided to give me the mom since she got attached to the baby girl. I brought her home and named her Mama. Dusty and Mama got along right away and live in the same cage since. I would say i got Mama in Oct or Nov of 2011. Once i got Mama my cousin still had the boy and girl at her house living in seperate cages. She says that after her mom left she seemed to change a little and seemed sad. Now my cousin ended up having to move and couldnt have two seperate cages anymore so she asked if i wanted the little sister and i said yes! :::grins:: I brought the little sis home on April 6th 2012 and named her Chewy. My cousin also gave me a seperate cage with chewy. I set up her cage next to Dusty and Mama and they seemed ok. They were sniffing nose to nose with eachother. I decided to give them play time and i let Chewy and Mama out together first to see if they would remember eachother. They got along just fine. So then i let Dusty play and thats when the trouble started. Dusty didnt like that Mama was with Chewy and started to chase both of them. I seperated them and put them in their own cages. Ever since then I try to give play time and it always ends up the same. They are fine being side by side in their cages tho. I've tryed putting Chewy in a small carry cage inside of their big cage. When i do this the other two dont mind shes there and continue to eat or try to look at her. They dont try to attack her or bark at her or anything. But anytime they come close to her Chewy freaks out and makes a bunch of different sounds and sprays urine. She does this everytime they come close now. I've also tryed sticking Dusty and Mama is the travel cage together and then letting Chewy loose, in a Chinsafe room, so that she can go up to them if she wants and she will still make noises and spray urine. Also when all three are out together she will get jumped on and loose some fur so i always seperate them. It seems like both Dusty and Chewy like there mom but not eachother. Sisters  :doh: Can anyone please give me tips on how to make them get along? I would love to have the whole family living in the same cage together. I was reading that they might be asserting dominance so should i let them work it out since i've never seen blood? Please help!! Thank you all

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chins wont get along :(
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »

That is an interesting story. I don't know what is happening here and I'm sure someone who has experience will comment soon.

From what I gather Chewy is having a problem with Dusty whenever they get close to each other. However Mama gets along with both Chewy and Dusty.
The problem is Chewy habitually spraying Dusty. Is this correct?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

Some Chinchillas just will not tt along Chinchillas are animals and do not recognize family as family. If you try to force them together you will end up with a dead chinchilla
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

hanne1109

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:59 AM »

Yes Chewy will always spray Dusty but once she gets upset she wont let Mama near her either. During a play time tho Chewy went back into her cage and Mama fallowed and she was fine with that and were cuddeling for a little while. But then Dusty tried to come into Chewys cage and Chewy chased Dusty out. I understand why she did that tho since that is her territory. But its frustrating since i know she likes company since she cuddles with her mom.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »

Spraying is usually considered a last resort kind of defense and distress. The next action is usually biting.

It seems to me that something has conditioned Chewy to react badly to Dusty and reinforce that fear response to this point. But it could just be they are not compatible with both being overly dominant and territorial.

I agree with starleomach this is dangerous. I think it's best to separate them so they cannot reach each other through bars of their cages and don't let those two out together anymore. I was hoping maybe there could be a way to recondition them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

hanne1109

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:44:34 PM »

but they are fine when they are in their own cages. They even lay on the same side of their cages so that they are sleeping near eachother. They are very peaceful while it cages, the problem starts when its play time.

This picture is of Chewy in her cage and then Dusty ontop of the dusthouse with Mama inside of it.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »

I think that is because Chewy knows Dusty is no threat to her there because of the physical barrier and the problem will start as soon as that barrier is removed.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

There is no rhyme or reason chinchillas are animals and not logic. If they do not get along at playtime just keep them Separate or you will have dead chinchillas
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »

If your ever going to get them into one cage it has to be a different cage.
The pecking order has already been set in the respective cages.
Yes they may never get along, but you can't judge by letting them in each others cages, or puttting them all in one of their already cages. Make sense  :blush2:

I am not sure you will be able too as they are all adults. Their seems to be better odds between adults & kits, or all kits starting out together. Adults can get set in their ways and just not want to bother even dealing with a pecking order, some want their own cage and that's it.

If you can get them all playing in a neutral area, bathing and taking treats from you while together , you may have a chance. You'll have to get a new set up, or completely clean , change around, and add to the exciting cage while they are out of it.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up