Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exotics <3  (Read 1893 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Exotics <3
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

As an exotics fan, I would like to know if anyone has a list of pets (the weird ones, like monkeys and lemurs) that can be owned in ny. Also, does anyone know if it's possible to own a raccoon in NYC?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Exotics <3
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »

I think it is easier to look at the list of exotic pets banned in NYC and see if the animal in question falls into it. It appears the laws there are excessive and they have additional restrictions to the state laws. I know you can find a copy of the law itself online although there are several sections. And that doesn't include the laws for NYC in addition to those. This may be yet another example of over-regulation caused by people who vote for leaders who are clueless or swayed by animal rights organizations who cannot stand the idea of pet ownership.

Here is where I got most of the info from but it may be outdated.
http://www.nycferrets.com/

Ferrets are banned in NYC but not in other areas of the state of New York. All animals in the raccoon family are banned including coatimundi and kinkajou. Fennec foxes are banned. All primates are banned including lemurs. Iguanas and pythons are banned. Prairie dogs and viscacha. (Why viscacha and not chinchilla or rabbit?) are banned. Perhaps they will be next.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up