Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: random but i thought id try here first ((fish question))  (Read 1905 times)

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
random but i thought id try here first ((fish question))
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »

ok, so ive been wanting to get a green spotted puffer fish, they are very cute and sweet, i had two before but they were sick (bad petstore they dont take care of their fish at all!) ive been looking for them again and i found some at a mom and pop fish store in my town they are very healthy but im not sure what size tank i need ive seen 10, 15 and 20 gallon tanks but i have a 5 gallon and i know thats way to small even tho they are small fish, they have a lot of waste, so anyways i thought id ask you guys on here because youve all helped me so much in past :) if any of you have had one before or know of a place that has very good facts and how to id really like a link :) and tips! lol

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: random but i thought id try here first ((fish question))
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »

We used to have a 40 gallon tank with a nice variety. If you get a big tank (>5 gal) you can use a siphon (looks like a plastic cylinder on the end of a tube sold at pet stores) to help clean the waste. Since you do loose some water with this you need to be careful of the water chemistry when adding new water. You can also get a filtering pump for it that will help. It works by filtering the water through the gravel at the bottom the tank that is poured over a plastic riser. Tubes go to the pumps on the top of the tank that pulls the water downward through the gravel and filters it. The waste accumulates in the gravel. Every 6 months or so you take the gravel out and water hose it in a bucket. For in between cleanings you turn the pumps off and use the siphon to suck the muck up and out. The system was pretty reliable for us for many years running four pumps. Some models come with a replaceable impeller which we had replaced a couple of times (maybe once every two years). There was one problem though I remember when the pump got dislodged from the tube after cleaning the tank with the siphon and we didn't notice it. A large gourami got too close and ended up with a giant hickey.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: random but i thought id try here first ((fish question))
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

see i awnt a big tank but one no room and two low on cash which is was im looking for a 10 or 15 thats cheap, but thank you! thats very helpful!! im definitely keeping that in mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up