Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parenting  (Read 2220 times)

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Parenting
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

just wondering if anyone knows of any studies that say that people who owned pets as kids make better parents to human children?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

ob

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Parenting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:37:44 AM »

This is a late response, but I don't know of any studies but I have noticed that the people I've known that have had house pets usually do better with children than people that either had outside pets or no pets...the people that didn't have pets seem to get irritated faster.

I've also noticed (and discussed it with my mom a bit) that people that like dogs do better with younger kids and people that like cats tend to do better with older kids/teenagers. Until my daughter was born I never really liked either, nor was I interested in children for that matter, but I've always liked rodents...I think people like me who enjoy caged animals more are the people that would be fine without being parents, but that's just a theory. I have a cat & a dog right now (in addition to a rabbit & 8 chinchillas) and I've realized that I used to like my dog a lot more before my kid could walk/run and now I like my cat more. Not saying I don't love my daughter, I just don't think I have the right personality to handle toddlers very well.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »

Hmm... I'm 16 and nowhere near having my own children, but I love them a great deal. I babysit all the time and can't wait to have a house full of my own kids. I like caged animals AND free animals, but because I never had one walking around the house, I can't fathom what it's like to have a dog or cat.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

ob

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »

Well, my dog/child are a lot like my chinchillas, only the running around in circles is in a bigger area & usually around me while I try to walk...and they're both a lot louder. The cat is just kind of wherever she wants to be, sleeping on stuff...
My mom always had a dog when I was growing up & my brother always had cats so I can't imagine not having one.

I remember being 16 & thinking, "I'm never having kids, they're way too much work! I'll stick with my rodents" (only a hamster & a chinchilla at the time.) :P Funny how 5 years later I', pretty much thinking the same thing, but instead it's "another kid."
Pages: [1]   Go Up