Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas face, lips, and hands are swollen  (Read 3508 times)

I_luv_my_chins

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
Chinchillas face, lips, and hands are swollen
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »

my chin, Tito, is 7 yrs old. He has been very healthy in this time. he did just get over a respiratory infection last month, which the vet said he may have gotten b/c he could be asthmatic. $8 hrs ago I noticed his face and fingers are huge! It really freaked me out. The only "new" thing introduced was the timothy hay which had just been bailed and put in the barn. So at first I was thinking maybe a spider bite? But he has not had any change in the swelling, which I would think it would start to go down now after 2 days. He is eating some and drinking, a little constipated, but urinating well. his breathing is a little labored, and the vet cant see him until Monday afternoon. Any ideas what this is or what I can do to make him feel better? or at least more comfortable? I have been keeping him cool with the a/c and trying to keep him calm and making sure he gets plenty of water. I have also given him a puff off my inhaler which the vet had advised me to do so when he had the lung infection. I feel so terrible when I have a sick chin, I hate I cant really do much for him! I have 6 chins and nobody else has these symptoms. Please help!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchillas face, lips, and hands are swollen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »

There really isn't much I think you can do but watch and wait and make sure he stays calm and cool. Was your chin on any antibiotics or medications causing that could be causing an allergic reaction?  You could ask your vet about the use of ibuprofen to help with the swelling but understand there can be side effects with this too.

Just in case there is something in the hay causing an allergy (that might be unique to this chin) you might consider getting tim hay from a different source and see if it changes anything. Hopefully your chin didn't develop an allergy to the hay itself. If the swelling is limited to the face and upper extremities I really would suspect the hay or something the chin came in contact with that is causing an allergic reaction. See if you can find anything wrong with the hay or food it has access to especially for signs of mold or chemical contamination.

That's my two cents anyway.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

I_luv_my_chins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »

well just got home from the vets (one farther away), I just couldn't bear to "wait it out" any longer or wait til Monday. So after having to pay an emergency fee for the vet coming in after hours, we are home, and I was told that between the burned toast, the inhaler, etc that I did everything right. he would have given him an injection of steroid but where he just finished antibiotics a few weeks ago, in the event there was still some infection lingering he didn't want to make it worse, he ended up giving an injection of antibiotic and prescribing prednisone for oral dosage which we happen to have at home so we didn't have to buy. Just where the dosing is for a human adult I have to dissolve in water and administer. He wrote me out the equivalent dosage ratios. He also said I could give him some benedryl for the swelling. How ever, we don't know the cause of all this, the vet figures it was something toxic in the hay, like possible Passion ivy. He also said that I was the 3rd person to bring in a pet saying he just got new hay and was having a strange reaction. So in the meantime I purchased some new hay. I cant stand having a sick chin, thanks for ur advice! He said once I have the prednisone into him it should start taking the swelling down in 1-2 hrs

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »

That is very mysterious. I hope the hay problem is confined to your area. I'm surprised the vet didn't want a sample of it for analysis. If it's poison ivy you may need to decontaminate your cage and food bowls ASAP by washing them in very hot water and dish soap to prevent further exposure. The cage can be scrubbed with mildly soapy water. The soap will cause the oil to loosen so it can be easily rinsed off. Bleach can be used to help decontaminate from the respiratory infection (as long as the bleach is used outside and rinsed off well).

I think it's great the antibiotic was injected so this should minimize the impact on the intestines. Sounds like your chin will get better soon.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »

It happens sometimes. It is really important to get your hay from a quality source. Not sure where your hay comes from, but it probably has a weed or as mentioned, poison ivy, etc... something in it that the chin is allergic to. I might suggest buying hay from American Pet Diner (google their website). They have the most consistent and best hay, I have ever found on the internet for chinchillas. They've been around for years and you can trust them in being reliable with good quality hay at any time.

I once had a hay issue myself with chinchillas back in 2004, so I do know that hay can have things in it that can make chinchillas ill or even cause death. :( Hope your chinchilla gets better soon.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »

Did you get your hay from somewhere else? Do you keep it outside? I'm too nervous to use the hay from the barn on my chins because we use hay bales that stay outside, and pollen, bugs and plenty of other things can get to it. I just get hay from petsmart. If its your barn (I board my horse, not my barn) the next time hay is delivered take a flake and bring it inside immediately. Poor baby I hope he's okay!!

I_luv_my_chins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »

I just wanted to let everyone know, that Tito passed away from this infection. It took me a long time to get over it, well still really haven't, I cant think about him still with out tears coming to my eyes. I did everything I could possibly do; antibiotics, prednisone, benedryl and even albuterol treatments for his breathing, but I assume the infection was just too much for his little body. He suffered greatly, and my biggest regret is not having him euthanized when I knew something was terribly wrong. He ended up passing just 6 days after he turned 8, on the night of July 3. I had him on a couch pillow which I had on my lap and pat him the entire time. In the end his genitals were even swollen. I knew he was going to die earlier that day as he went down to lay in his pine shavings litter pan, as if looking for a soft place to lay down and die  :'( thank God my other 5 chins never came down with this. I had even made the decision to take him out to shoot him with a .22 if he had survived until the next day. I will NEVER stand by and let my animal suffer like that again when I know there is no coming out of it, regardless of what the vet says! I know my animals, I know when something is wrong. He is forever in my heart

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

I'm very sorry for your loss. Sounds like this one put up a pretty good fight though.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »

So sorry for your loss.
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up