Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla gaining weight  (Read 833 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Chinchilla gaining weight
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »

My new chinchilla (K'ulu) is gaining a lot weight. I was curious about what the normal rate is for a less than 4 month old chin. He is gaining an average of 14g per week since I got him 3 weeks ago. He is on the Purina Rabbit Show diet and timothy hay. Compared to my first chin who was underweight from malocclusion he seems rather fat when I pick him up. There are noticeable changes in his shape and size from when I first got him and his adult whiskers are starting to grow in and his fur feels less cottony. I'm amazed he gains so quickly because at night he is constantly in motion.

He is acting very healthy, energetic, and gets tamer by the day. He is also very vocal and squeaks and squawks a lot especially at night when he gets bored and I'm trying to sleep. Fecal output is very high compared to my last chin but slightly soft and easily mushed. I'm thinking its the rabbit pellets and the fact I'm used to the other chin who was usually constipated. Anyone experience this with Purina?

I've attached some pictures. You can see differences in his fur and profile. They were taken about 3 weeks apart.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla gaining weight
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

I use the Purina Show Rabbit and love it.  My herd has been on it for many years.  Don't worry about the weight gain.  Chinchillas grow really fast at that age.  Just think he has to reach his adult size by 7-8 months so that is a lot of growing in the next 3 months.  Healthy chinchillas should feel plump when you hold them.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla gaining weight
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »

I'm glad to hear I have a healthy chinchilla this time. Thanks.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up