Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can you dislocate a chinchillas tale?  (Read 1513 times)

rewNboots

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
can you dislocate a chinchillas tale?
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »

hi my chinchilla davin ran under my bed this morning and would come out and i had to go to work i couldnt reach him and i didnt have time to wait for him to come out i could only get a hold of his tail at the base i got him out i didnt pull that hard and he seems fine but i just took him out of his cage and as i was holding him i thought the base of his ale feels different it kinda feels like theres a kink in it now right at the base im worried that it may have hurt him?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: can you dislocate a chinchillas tale?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »

I guess that depends how hard you pulled. If it was more than simply sliding him across the rug then maybe.
I think the best advice is if you think you've injured your chinchilla to get a vet appointment so they can take x-rays and be sure everything is okay.

It could just be you are feeling a normal feature of his anatomy there that you've never observed before. There's a transition underneath the skin where the vertebrae attach to the pelvic bones. This area is strong enough to actually hold the weight of the whole animal without injury.

A chin's tail has a column of vertebrae inside that can be dislocated but it usually occurs further down the tail. Normally this is associated with considerable swelling. I would expect it to feel like a lump if it were dislocated and this is very painful and would likely cause your chin to get depressed as the inflammation gets worse. It can grow pea sized or larger and if this happens the swelling can potentially cause dangerous complications cutting off blood circulation, causing infection, shock, death that sort of thing. So you might want to monitor this over the next few hours for changes.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

rewNboots

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

heres a pic i dont know if u can tell anything

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

Those are really good pictures. I see nothing wrong there. Besides if your chin didn't complain when you took those pictures I seriously doubt it is dislocated. Dislocation is a very painful injury. Is Davin a white mosaic?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:18:33 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

rewNboots

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »

thank you very much i feel alot better knowing that it looks ok he seems to be acting normal hes been running and jumping around his cage like normal i belive he is a white mosaic the place i got him from was not sure he is only about 9 months old he was about 3 months when i got him he was more white when i first brought him home hes got more rgay in him now but still has alot of white the first 2 pics are from when we first got him
Pages: [1]   Go Up