Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Female first or Male first?  (Read 1967 times)

maulam

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Female first or Male first?
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »

I have a chance to either acquire Two 1 year old sisters or Two 1.5 year old brothers. I do plan to breed them after couple years. Which pairs I should get first? I've heard introducing a new male to an existing female is harder than the other way around. I had a pair many years ago ::cry222::: which I had the male first then I bought a female companion for him after couple years. They got along very well. But I'm not sure if it would be the same if I bought in the female first, then male later. Any suggestions?   :-\ Thanks in advance.

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Female first or Male first?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »

I have a chance to either acquire Two 1 year old sisters or Two 1.5 year old brothers. I do plan to breed them after couple years. Which pairs I should get first? I've heard introducing a new male to an existing female is harder than the other way around. I had a pair many years ago ::cry222::: which I had the male first then I bought a female companion for him after couple years. They got along very well. But I'm not sure if it would be the same if I bought in the female first, then male later. Any suggestions?   :-\ Thanks in advance.

hi,

that's realy relative cause depends on their personality but i'm trying to put the new male with females and it's not easy but one of my females is more social than my  male but than the other female too i think that's really relative.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »

If you are planning to breed them later on, are they pedigreed and come from good breeders? Other than that worry, usually most people go with boys first. I do think it would be a bit more difficult to introduce a male to an older female later on down the road, too.

ohio chinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »

females tend to be more dominant, and can see a new chin in there space can cause them to think "intruder!" where as putting a femail into the pre existing male's cage, it is more likely seince they were there first, and she is the newcomer, she will be a lot less likely to outright reject them, and more likely to try to be friendly. males dont seem to have many problems sharing a cage with other males, but females seem to be more moody twards any new chin in there cage if they are used to having it all to themselves.

maulam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to adopt two 1.5 year old brothers. The original owner had them since 6 months old and he no longer has time for them because of his new born child. I'm going to pick them up this weekend...can't wait  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »

Get the females first as they need to be a year to breed. Males can do the job as you as 4 months, and it's easier to intro a young male to a female.
Debbie.nl.ca

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »

congrats :) I bought a chin that was 10 months old, he took a bit longer to get situated but now I have a happy home :D

maulam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »

My 2 adorable, lovable sons:  rofl

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56:29 AM »

Maulam, your chinchildren are beautiful!
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma
Pages: [1]   Go Up