Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non stop barking, when lights are off?  (Read 3496 times)

winterose

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Non stop barking, when lights are off?
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

So, every time tonight I have tried to turn the light off so I can go to bed, the chins start barking, at least according to some sound clips i listened to here: http://www.cheekychinchillas.com/chinsounds.html thats what it is, they have never done this before, and because the lights are off I can't figure out who it is.

But it is so loud I can't sleep, is there a way to make them stop? or a way to figure out why they have started, I mean you can hear it all the way across the house. The first time they did it i was down stairs and I ran up cause i thought someone was getting murdered.

Can anyone help me... I can't move them to another room they have to stay in mine, is there any solution?

Skittlez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Non stop barking, when lights are off?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »

im not sure if this will help but try having a little light or lamp by them? nothing to bright so it bothers you but just dim enough for them to see? im not sure if youve tryed that but maybe it would work? good luck!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »

Do you think they are trying to get your attention because they are very spoiled? They should be able to see well the dark unless it's pitch black in there. One of those mini-night lights should be sufficient in that case.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »

I agree about the night light.  Chinchillas need light to see and night time is their most active time.  I always leave one light on in my chinchilla building at night.  It is still dark enough that they know it is night but they can see.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:35:25 AM »

Im not sure, I have only had them since tuesday afternoon, I mean i give them daily attention, usually at night before I go to bed, but they have never barked before. last night was the 1st time, and it was so bad, I ended up sleeping on the couch downstairs..

Also my room is dark yes, but its not excessive, I can kinda see my way around things when I am up and about at night, I shall try opening my curtains so the moon light gets in better and see if this helps.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »

They are probably still adjusting to their new surroundings as well. Usually it takes a couple of weeks to get over the shock of relocation. Hopefully this is just a phase that will resolve itself in a few days.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »

:)  Chinchillas tend to protect their family (you are a part of their family) and will warn them (you) of danger ... this is what they are doing for you ... warning you of the unknown noises they hear.   ::nod::   To a chinchilla, any new and unknown sounds make them very uneasy and sometimes even afraid.  It might be worth a restless night to stay in the room with them, move them closer to you, turn on some very soft music and assure them, that everything is OK.  Chinchillas are pretty smart ... they will soon learn what sounds are 'normal' for their new home and which ones that are not normal.

:)  We have to remember, chinchillas are like children, they look to you for comfort and reassurance, just like a child would do ... in return, once they become accustom to the new sounds, then any unusual sound they may hear in the future, they will let you know that something is going on that normally does not. 

::think::  I remember several years ago of a member's chin alerting them when a person was trying to break into the house and another time of a chin alerting the family of a fire.

::silly::  Never underestimate the chinchilla!   ::silly::

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

Well they are deff loud enough to be a fire alarm lol.
ok well hopefully tonight fairs better cause I am exhausted i only got like 4 hours last night, and had to sleep on the couch cause they would not shut up
Pages: [1]   Go Up