Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first chin,some questions  (Read 1298 times)

chincip

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
first chin,some questions
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »

hello everyone! I have a chin for 3 moths and when i got him ,he was like 3 or 4 months...I try to let him out every 2 days at least 1 hour,he runs everywhere but it's not interesting in knowing me  :::((( he jumps on my leg or hand but when i try to touch him,he runs everytime ,even if when is in the cage he let me touch him,maybe because he doesn't have to much space to run :'( I've also noticed tonight he lost a little fur,even if he was free ,and he was just running and playing...I'm doing something wrong?i was expecting at least to let me touch him ...

and sometimes he just jump on one side of his body and remain like that,like is dead ??? but if i move he jumps ...i don't get it...please give me some advices  :doh: and also what kind of toys do you have for your chin? thanks a lot ;)

Butters

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: first chin,some questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »

He probably just needs to warm up to you and you need to make the effort to bond with him, a good way to bond is playing with him. Make playtime in the bathroom and spend an hour or more with him sitting on the floor bring some treats or toys and just have fun and try to make it an every day thing so he has some sort of routine. When trying to touch him in the cage be gentle don't shove your hand in there an make him thing some handzilla has come to harm him, just put your palm in there let him sniff you and get use to you. As far as petting goes I know my chin dislikes being petted or held for to long, occasionally he will let me scratch behind his ears and for toys, I give him apple sticks, chin safe blocks of wood, little wooden barbells and of course his wheel and all that seems to keep him content.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »

Also, sleeping on his side is perfectly normal.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

When approaching a chinchilla try to keep your hands and movements low. Movement overhead is threatening to them. Don't chase if you can avoid it make sure your movements are deliberate and not fast and jerky. Animals like this are easily startled until they are more tame and when they are startled it is a step backwards before they regain your trust.
With chins it is not unheard of that fur slip occurs during playtime when they are free and bouncing off walls. It is not a bad sign unless it occurs when you are trying to hold or restrain them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:00 AM »

The only thing I can mention that hasn't been mentioned...is when you go to pick him up, try to not corner him or just grab him (somewhat like gray rodent mentioned).

You can take one hand and gently but firmly hold the base of the tail with your fingers, while using the other hand to scoop him up, under his feet.

Just make sure at all times when you hold him or are picking him up, that his feet are always supported by your hand.
I noticed with some new owners they don't realize that when there is no support for the feet when being held, their chinchilla will become what they may call skittish or frightened or kicking their little legs.

It's just them being afraid when the ground slides out from under their feet...so always keep their feet supported when scooping them up or picking them up.

When handling, if you use the other hand to hold onto the base of the tail, firm yet gently, this is to ensure your chinchilla will stay with you and not make a mad dash for the floor or falling by accident. I have yet to have one chinchilla not be calm when being held or picked up, if I do this and it has always worked for keeping them calm. It also works for getting them to trust you better and become familiar with you, as it is a much more calmer/relaxed way to pick them up or hold them.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up