Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: They're Here!!!!  (Read 3828 times)

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
Re: They're Here!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »

Very cute pics! Love the babies and they look to be loving all over you in the photos!  ;)

I don't want to change the topic however, but if you look into ebonies and their history or ask old timers (those who've been around 40+ years...), they can explain it better than I ever could. I just know what I have always been told and the ebony mutations here were all bred together. Those overseas, kept their charcoals and ebonies apart, so you will see recessive charcoals mentioned that look like the typical medium ebony over here... Those recessive charcoal when bred to standards, just produce crisp white  bellied standards that carry the charcoal gene. You have to breed two charcoal carriers together or a charcoal with a charcoal carrier, in order to produce more charcoals.

I do know I personally had an ebony born out of a chinchilla, that had no ebony traceable in the first six generations of her pedigree. I had to go back further, to find one ebony carrier way back on her dad's side of the history, to figure out how come I had an every hair shiny black ebony/poss sapphire carrier born in the litter. Her sibling in the litter was a solid sapphire and the other sibling was just a standard/poss sc appearing animal (crisp white belly!) and looked the spitting image of her mom and parents. You'd never have guessed there was ebony in the background at all, till looking further back on the pedigrees of the parents. Just to give an example of how tricky the mutation is. :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

That's very interesting. And winterose both of those chins look very nice in the photos and look like they have a calm disposition.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

winterose

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »

They do once they are out of their cage, its catching them that can be a problem, they are all happy to be petted and to nibble on you. but once you try to grab them they want none of it, till you have them out and resting on you. lol

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

I don't know if you've seen this post but it might help if you're not familiar with handling chinchillas:

http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3711.msg28427/topicseen.html#new
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

ohio chinny

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

going all the way back to your first post, where you thought that pine bedding might be bad for them? They ARE different than mice/rats/hamsters!, what are you using for bedding now? pine is one of the few woods that is NOT harmful to them, and one of the more commenly used types of bedding for chins. please tell me you are not using ceader bedding! ::scaredspeachless:: ceader bedding is harmfull to them! if they eat it, it will make them verry sick, and when their urine gets on it, it reacts chemically and will produse a gas that is harmful to them!!! CEADER IS VERRY BAD FOR CHINCHILLAS!!! if you are using this, please PLEASE go now and get them somthing elce! if you still dont want to use pine than maby use paper or somthing, but cedar is the absolute worst bedding for chins, and a lot of people use it for rats mice and hamsters because it helps cover the smell, and works well. thats why im worried you may have used it unknowingly. please respond soon to tell what you are using... :'(

winterose

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »

relax, right now I have them on my left over care fresh from when i had my hamster, after that I was going to use woody pet bedding.  its like 6 bucks for a 40lb bag, and it work wonders, All the chins I have pet sat for have used it with no ill effect.

http://www.woodypet.com/index.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up