Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: They're Here!!!!  (Read 3829 times)

winterose

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
They're Here!!!!
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »

So the two chins I was talking about in my thread about if a cage would work or not are here :) One is a mosaic and one is a standard i believe, he looks to dark to be a standard but is to light to be a ebony? i think thats the one im thinking of... so I think she is just a darker colored standard.

its kinda sad they came with hardly anything. No hammocks, no toys, one chew block and a wooden house...
crap for food, and chin dust but no dust house.... good thing im crafty with the sewing machine to at least get some comfy hammocks and cubes in there for them
Also a hudge bag of pine shavings....  :( now if they are anything like hamster/rats/mice then pine is bad for them.... so off to get new food and bedding i go...

Here is a pic.

Also how long would a 25lb bag of food last with 2 chins? for some reason out by me they only sell the good chin foods in bulk bags.... and could I keep the food fresh for how ever long it would last? if so how?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:24:04 PM by winterose »

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: They're Here!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

well i think they are lucky you found them..

i cant say for sure how long it will last, but it will last a very long time. keep it in a cool, air tight place. food is usually good between 6-9 mos depending on the brand, from the mill date.
jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:08:12 PM »

Congrats on your new pets.

If they have not been fed a good diet and have not been given hay you might want to take them in for a vet checkup and have their teeth examined. They can do well without pellets but not without hay.

In case you are not aware it is best practice to mix in any new pellets with old ones and gradually change their diet over 2 weeks to prevent potentially life-threatening digestive problems. Monitor their droppings daily for changes. That is just good practice regardless. Chances are the stress from the move is going to affect them so you can expect to see some abnormality in diet and droppings over the next few days. Just make sure you don't run into problems with constipation, diarrhea, or anorexia that lasts for more than a day or two which seems be common when relocating.

Although pine is generally considered to be harmful kiln dried pine chips are widely used without ill effects and may be preferable to most alternatives.

The standard could be a black velvet too. Can't see him too well in the picture though. Is this a male-female pair? How long have they been together?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »

thanks guys :)

They have been given Timothy hay, at least they came with an open bag so I assume they have, and I shall transition slowly and watch for anything bad. Mazuri is a good chin food yes?

Im just going to donate the shavings bag to my local rescue farm, they are always in need of it for the horses and stuff. then I shall be off to find a nice bedding option for hopefully not to to much. I drained my college text book savings to save them. shhh don't tell any one :P 

I shall take some more pictures today and post them for you guys and maybe you can help me figure out what color it is. They are suppose to both be girls and as far as I can tell via looking up sexing pictures they should be, but in any case, both their bits look the same so at least there won't be procreating.

Supposedly they are a sister pair gotten from a pet shop that breeds their own.... and supposedly they are only 4 months old. Im taking everything they told me with caution. tho their feet seem a little disproportionate to their bodies so im assuming they are still on the younger side in any case. not wildly so, but they are more pronounced then any any older chin I have ever seen

They are very docile from what I am use to dealing with chinchillas in the past. so at least someone has handled them enough so they don't freak out.

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:34 AM »

PICTURES!!! The little dark gray one that im questioning the color on is so fast i only got one good pic of her. and im still trying to pick names

Mosaic:

Dark Grey one:
And yes, I realize the spray bottle is in there, I moved it as soon as I noticed it out. they didn't get near it no worries

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

How white is the grey's belly? In the photo it looks grey.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:33:28 AM »

The dark one's belly is grey yes

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:35 AM »

That probably is ebony then. Sounds like you got some fancy chins.

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »

I thought ebonys had to be pure black, not dark grey with a grey tummy? or can they be lighter in color? either way, i did end up with some amazing chins :) <3

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

A standard with one ebony gene is lighter than one inheriting the genes from both parents. A homo ebony would be much darker. The gene makes the belly grey instead of white and darkens the coloring on the face and back. My guess is that it is a hetero ebony.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

It's a medium ebony from what I can see. As far as I know, these days breeders kind of did away with the whole hetero and homo ebony thinking. Simply because you can get every hair shiny black ebonies out of chins who are just a standard and medium ebony. And you can also get ebonies out of standard parents that have generations of standard to standard backgrounds except maybe an ebony many generations ago that had been put in the line.

Usually the more proper way of saying it these days, is standard/ebony carrier (for a chin who is born out of a parent(s) that carries or is ebony.), light ebony for the really light dirty bellied ebonies, medium ebony for those who are darker but not as dark as the every hair shiny black ebs (which are usually called dark ebony.). Most people just use the terms of light, medium or dark to explain the ebony the have though. The ebony mutation itself is not alike to other mutations such as hetero beige or homo beige, or white mosaic, etc... it is a bit different and can be confusing to understand sometimes.  ;)

The ebony gene itself can show up generations later in a line, when say there was only one ebony ever in the line, many generations back. I just call it tricky.  ;) Some people of course still say hetero ebony or homo ebony for terms, and most people understand what they mean when they say that... but it's not technically true with the ebony mutation... doesn't work the same as those mutations that can be hetero (like beige) or homo (again like beige).

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »

That is good to know. Thanks for the info. Would you consider it to be a partial recessive gene?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:57:02 PM by GrayRodent »

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »

As for genetics, the random/average North American ebony can be considered dominant, recessive and accumulative. At least on this side of the world.

Many breeders back in the day, bred all the different dirty bellied ebonies together, with little consideration as to whether they were breeding recessive charcoals or dominant ebonies, etc... (You can read about all the different ebony type mutations in the US back in the day, in the Alice Kline book on Genetics, I believe.).

Luckily some places like in the UK or abroad, didn't breed all the different strains of ebonies together, and they do have their recessive charcoals apart from their ebonies.

If it sounds confusing, just think of someone who was to breed all different beiges together, recessive beiges and dominant beiges- every kind you know of or have ever heard of.
 And call that mutation just simply beige (no mention of dominant or recessive.). All bred together, all different genotypes. It's quite the genetic mess if you think about it.

It would take several generations of outcrossing strictly to standards, to figure out just which strain of ebony you have.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »

Wow that does sound like a mess. What I am getting from this is that there are three known ebony mutations and most "ebony" chinchillas and North American chinchillas are typically a mixture of those three. Or is it more complex than this?

winterose

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »

I Agree on it being a Mess, and here are some more pictures :P and yes that would be me :P

And I must figure out why my camera is being so blurry, it usually takes better pics than it has been...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up