Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla's personality hasn't improved much..  (Read 1043 times)

evilwitch452

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My chinchilla's personality hasn't improved much..
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »

I have had him for over 2 months now. He lets me pet him sometimes but doesn't care much for it. Refuses to be held or sheds. Never seems to care about me. The worst part of it is he is so spoiled. I give him everything. bit play area, toys, and he's just like a spoiled brat. lol. But he drives me crazy. I wanted one that was more affectionate. Don't know if he will ever change. :::(((

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: My chinchilla's personality hasn't improved much..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »

for the most part, chins just do not like to be picked up or held, they are pray animals.  as for im not liking you, i'm sure he does, just give him some more to get used to you... if he's over 6 mos, try working with him with some treats.. put one in your hand and let him come to you... he'll get used to that and start to trust you, then maybe after a while, while he's snacking on the treat, try give him some stritches, let him assoc them with something good [the treat].  maybe others will have different ideas.  good luck..

ps i got a new one in the summer, and he still is very nervous with me, they all have different personalities.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

judyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »

I have had my chinchilla for almost three months now. He does not like me picking him up even to put him in his playpen which he loves! He shakes like a leaf when I do pick him up. I talk  softly to him to try to reassure him it's ok then he stops shaking after a few minutes. He too is very spoiled! It's been almost three months and I have seen improvement in his personality. It takes time...... ::silly::

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »

It could take as little as 6 months to as long as a few years. Just be patient.  Some never want to be held. That's the beauty of owning a chin. They are all different.

Even if your chin will never want to be affectionate, that won't stop you from having a good pet. The bond between you could form and you would never know it.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

chincip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:35:43 AM »

My chin seems like yours...he totally ignores me and pretend I'm not there  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up