Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change in poo size?  (Read 8384 times)

Lauren_201

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Change in poo size?
« on: September 13, 2006, 10:22:15 PM »

Okay, so I'm a tad bit mildly concerned. Chloe's poos are a tad bit smaller than usual. We haven't done anything different with her diet, and have not given her any "new" treats. The poos are just slightly smaller than normal. I noticed it tonight when I was holding her, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do tend to over-thing and worry too much, if that helps.

Edited to add ~ She might have gotten a hold of a sunflower seed. I eat ranch davids sunflower seeds all the time, so there are usually strays here and there, I try to find them all before I let the fur babies out though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:28:10 PM by Lauren_201 »
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Change in poo size?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:21:34 PM »

I know it's gross, but her normal poo, is the bigger one on the right, and the abnormal one is the smaller on the left. What can I say? I'm a concerned Mommy. LOL  :)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:51:55 AM »

Its not gross, I think it is great that you are watching it so close.  Chinchilla poop is usually the first thing to tip us off when there is a problem.  I have noticed that some of chinchilla change poop sizes every so often depending on what they ate that day.  It could be that she didn't eat as much hay as usual or something like that.  One day of small poop wouldn't concern me but over several days you might want to look at the amount of hay she is eating a day and the amount of water she is drinking and be sure she is getting a healthy diet.

This may not be your problem but this is a good time to mention regular treats for anyone who reads this.... If you are feeding your chinchilla raisins every day for a long period of time and then suddenly stop your chinchilla could get constipated.  As with humans, the body begins to count on the regular supply of fruit (raisins) if it is eaten everyday to help keep the body regular.  A sudden change in that diet after a long period will cause problems.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »

Good for you for picking up on that, but as Jamie said I wouldn't worry over a day or two.
If raisins are not a regular treat give her one now and one tonight. That should plump them back up.Just for one day, then none the next. I use raisins just for that, I know they will do the trick.You have to skip a day or two between though or you could cause the opposite problem.Or as Jamie said they will get used to them.
Adding alfalfa hay can help as well.
Mine get small droppings now and then from everything from slacking off on the hay for a day, or even their water.Not getting their usual run or treats, can give them smaller dropping, as can getting ready to give birth.
A strange noise can upset them, the change in the season even.
But do keep on eye and we hope it clears itself up.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:38 AM »

::silly::Hi Lauren,
     It is definitely not gross.  Congratulations on being so observant!  And that was NOT meant to be sarcastic.  So many chin owners do not take the time in the beginning or later to pay attention to the changes in their chin.
     The poop also looks hard/dry, this can be a sign of dehydration as well as other problems.  You might want to get some Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice (not cocktail) and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water.  Chins seem to love it and seem to increase their intake of liquids. 
     Keep in mind the suggestions Jamie and Debbie are giving you and try them.
     How is Chloe eating?  Normal amount of food or slightly less/more?
     Keep an eye on the poops ... watch for any that might show a mucous covering part or all of the poop OR if they continue to stay small/hard/dry, if so, you may want to contact your vet. 

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:56:25 AM »

She seems to be eating normally, however I have been sick the last couple of days and have stayed away from the chins (not playing with them, or touching them, or breathing on them! But I love watching them, can't resist they are so cute), the bf Vince has been taking care of them, (pellets, hay, water) all though I am there watching to make sure he's doing it the right way. I am very paranoid about my babies! They are slightly used to raisens, they do get them more than I like, atleast every other day, how do I wean them off? I know that's not healthy, but I didn't want to mess up their systems.

The normal poo, is dry because it was from 2 days ago, and the abnormal one I took the picture about an hour after she passed it, when it occured to me that I should take a picture! LOL, it was a bit dryer than usual, but still a little moist. I hope that makes sense!

Edited to add ~ Thank you all for your help, it's really appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:00:00 AM by Lauren_201 »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »

There is no need to wean her off the raisins.  Every other day is fine.  Charlie gets two a day.  One in the morning and one at night.  (and occationally one in the middle I have just found our from my daughter!)  Its just important for owners to know that once they start they may not can just stop.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:52:11 PM »

That's good to know. Some of the other forums are very anti-raisins. (They yell a lot) So I was embarrassed to admit I was giving them to her.

I got cranberry juice from the store. I couldn't find sugar free, so I got light. Hopefully that's okay. It has 10g of sugar. Rather than 33g that the regular stuff has.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:59:25 PM by Lauren_201 »

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 06:49:43 PM »

We don't yell here.   ;)

Do you have a second water bottle to give the juice in?  You should always keep a regular water bottle up as well.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 07:00:31 PM »

Yeppers, I have two bottles hanging on the cage. She doesn't seem interested in the cranberry/water, though. I'm sure she's fine. I am just a worry wart.  :)

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 09:49:30 PM »

GOOD NEWS! Chloe's poos are back to normal! YAY! (although I will continue to keep a watchfull eye on her, like usual)    ::)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »

She seems to be eating normally, however I have been sick the last couple of days and have stayed away from the chins
She could have just been missing you ya know.
Any kind of change could cause a little stress, and upset their digestion.

My vet said chins/animals can't get cold bugs and stuff from us.
I was guilty of staying away when I was sick, and some chins would get upset when their routine was fooled with.I even thought one caught a cold from me one time, but he says no.They can get their own bugs, but not ours from us.
You guys know anything about this?
Is it the case? I'm sure my vet knows of what he speaks, but the chins are the best source of information.
I have never had a chin that kind of sick.
Have any of you had a chin with a cold?
Always learning.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up