Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chinchilla's fur is coming out??  (Read 1447 times)

jrod1195

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My Chinchilla's fur is coming out??
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »

I just don't understand. I give her fresh water, I haven't changed her diet, she gets dust bath's 3 times a week, she isn't pulling it out. Am I doing something wrong? She's my first chinchilla and she does have some health problems. She has seizures sometimes and no one is really sure why it happens. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this. 

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
Re: My Chinchilla's fur is coming out??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »

How exactly is her fur coming out? Does it come out when you pick her up? Is she just shedding a lot, or do you have bald spots?
There can be many reasons for fur to come off a chinchilla, all depends on how it is coming off.

What kind of diet are you using right now? Seizures can be a sign of calcium deficiency, thiamine deficiency or low blood sugar level (or heat related if the chinchilla is over heating.). Giving more of an explanation of what is going on, might help narrow down what can be the cause of the problems or if it is a serious nature or something simply fixed by a quick change of diet or circumstances.
Also have you ever taken her to a vet to figure out the cause of the seizures and how long have you had her, that she has been having these problems?

Mogsy

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My Chinchilla's fur is coming out??
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »

Not sure about the seizures sadly, but Chinchillas shed when the weather gets warmer. With all the hair Chester's shed lately, I could make a whole nother Chinny!
Mogsy & Chester (The All Fatter), Thor and Loki
Pages: [1]   Go Up