Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 2395 times)

ChizzChin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
I need advice
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »

Hello everybody,
I got my first chinchilla on March 9, a little standard grey girl named Chilli Gizmo "Chizzy".  I loved my little girl, she was my little Chizz-ball.  I had her for a month and a half and she had to be put down almost two weeks ago (one of the most devestating things I've had to do :'().  One night I came here to finding blood in her cage and when I seen her she had a bubble bulging from her behind, which while my boyfriend was looking for our local emergency vet number I found out that her condition was Rectal Prolapse, something almost always fatal.  I rushed her to the vet Sunday morning at 1 o'clock and the vet stayed up with Chizz till 4 am.  Later that day at 12 pm he called and said that they corrected her prolapse and she made tremendous improvement, they did test on her and she had three parasites, THREE!  NO WAY she got them from my household.  They kept her Monday and said she was still improving and I could come get her but they could keep her another day to ensure her health and I could get her Wednesday (cause they were closed Tuesday).  They called me early Tuesday morning and said that she had to be put down cause she was giving up.  I was torn apart.  I ended up paying $696 for a pet i loved.  I have been so upset about her death and I can't do anything with her cage or anything she had.  I feel every since I had her that I am in love with chinchillas.  I want another one so bad it hurts, because I wanted to get her a play buddy anyways.  But now I just want another one, of course never to replace my first baby.
My question for y'all is:  Is it too early for me to get me another baby?

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:51:19 AM »

I'm so sorry about your baby, that's really sad  ::cry222:::
I think that if you're asking if it's too soon then MAYBE it is. I reckon you'll know yourself when you're ready to get a new one. Of course another chinchilla will never replace your Chizzy but you'll come to love him / her in their own way. 

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:50:13 AM »

That is a tragic loss. If it were me I probably would get another pet right away. It would help me cope with the loss by looking ahead instead of backwards. But that is my personality. I certainly would want to make sure the next one has a good vet exam before I would buy which I probably wouldn't normally do.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »

:)  Each of us has to deal with the death of a little one in their own way and own time ... there is nothing set in stone to cover this.   :-\

If you want to get a chin soon, I would first clean the cage thoroughly (not because of what might have been in your home, but what your little one brought into your home from somewhere else).  Dispose of all food and anything that can not be sterilized.

If you have any other pets, do not allow them in the Chin's room, especially if they are allowed both inside and outside of the house.  Keep a bottle of instant sanitizer near the cage and insist those handling the chin clean their hands first.

I strongly suggest getting a chin (preferably 2 at the same time), from a reputable breeder rather than a pet store.  Chinchillas in pet stores are usually mishandled more than they are handled properly.  Chinchillas are very fragile in many ways.

Nothing will ever take the place of your first one, or any number of them in between, each chinchilla has a way of making it's own special place in your heart that no one or no thing can ever fill it's place there.

Sometimes you just have to visit a breeder and their chins a few times ... when you see one you just can't leave without, then it is time to bring a new little one or two home with you.

Hope this helps a little.

Big Chinnie Hug!
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChizzChin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »

Thank y'all so much, it really means a lot to me.

Another thing that I am VERY worried about is that yes my animals were aloud in my room while Chizz was in her cage.  I am scared that one of them might have digested Chizz's feces and the vet said that that would cause them to get a parasite as well but they have a scheduled vet appointment for that now.

It has upset me to no end about my baby all the time.  I am going to get another chinchilla I believe here soon.  But as soon as I get this one I think imma take it straight to the vet.

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »

Maybe have the vet culture your other pets droppings, to ensure no one else got a parasite? Cultures usually don't cost much.

Did you know what kind of parasites she had? I am really sorry you lost her. Rectal prolapse can be fixed, but you have to be quick about it and extremely clean. I managed to save a rescue chin who had rectal prolapse once. He got it from his medications he was on when I was fostering him. :( 
It is so sad you lost your little girl though. My suggestion is to try for a reputable breeder if you are getting another chin. You shouldn't run into this problem again hopefully.

Joann gave good directions on cleaning the cage. If you have any wooden items in there, I would suggest just throwing them out, including wooden shelves. For cleaning you can use bleach mixed with water or use another disinfectant.

Being that you had a chin with parasites, whatever you use, make sure it kills most bacteria and is a disinfectant. Rinse extremely well after cleaning. Good luck with getting your new fur baby.

ChizzChin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »

Well he told me but two of them had some crazy names I would never remember, but he did tell me that she had numerous amounts of tapeworms.  It sickens me that they would sell me a chin with parasites. 

But yeah anytime I buy another I will be getting it from a breeder!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up