Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contractions Started!  (Read 9874 times)

EJ491

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Contractions Started!
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:47:06 AM »

My pink white female just started contractions but i cant find any signs that her water broke she seems very uncomfortable keeps laying down and getting back up on all fours real fast and then her tummy sucks in then back out about 3 times then she lays back down hope nothing goes wrong i have also notice she is whimpering a bit and grinding her teeth
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:49:35 AM by EJ491 »

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
Re: Contractions Started!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »

Does she look to be straining? Perhaps the baby is stuck or breech which would make birthing more difficult and may require vet help.
I can't tell by how you described it, but it sounds like she is straining.  I hope all is okay with her. Please update when you get a chance.

EJ491

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »

no still no signs of water being broke but idk if its right but iv read that they can start contractions several days b4 the birth comes she got up and ate and drank water seems to still be going threw similar issues tho it dosent appear that shes spotting yet and shes not fully dilated but she dosent seem to be in as much pain as b4 right now oh and i can also see that the baby is still alive still moving around maby the baby is hurting her it seems to like to press really hard with its feet but ill def bring her to a vet if things get worse than last night
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:27:35 AM by EJ491 »

BooBooTheKiddo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »

How is she doing? Any little ones?

lilchinchilla

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:15:55 PM »

Please go to the vet. I don't know where you heard they'd had contractions for days before birthing, but usually a chinchilla has a pretty smooth and easy birth over with within a couple hours or so.

Are you sure you feel movement in there? I would just be frightened if one is stuck in the birth canal, that the others are stuck behind and will die. :(

I'm not sure where you got your info on about spotting and such, usually it just happens and it is maybe an hour - four hours(for multiple births and placentas and if a baby should be breech or stuck - it can take a little bit more time than a usual birth, and can be up to four hours, with help from you or your vet to maneuver a breech baby out or a stuck kit...).

There's never really a lot of blood with the birthing, not quite like human birthing. Please get her looked at by a vet if you can, to ensure no babies are stuck in the birth canal.
Sometimes females stop contractions because the kits are stuck in the birth canal. They need a shot of oxytocin to help get the contractions going again. If that does not work - if the baby is too big or the birth canal too small, you may have to look at other alternatives or else you will lose both mom and her babies. Good luck and hope she is all right!

EJ491

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »

wow i didint know chinchillas could have false labor brought her to a vet earlyer and they said thats what it was and to keep an eye on her cause it may occur again hope their right not that it will happen again ofcorse but that thats what it was lol
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:11:39 PM by EJ491 »

lilchinchilla

• View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »

So did they do an x ray on her? How many babies is she going to have? Just curious. If the vet saw her, they must have some insight as to how close she is to having them too?

I have raised chinchillas for sixteen years and going, never heard of a chinchilla having false labor before. I've heard of it in humans but never seen nor heard of it in chinchillas. I am glad she is okay though!  :) To me it sounded like her contractions had stopped due to a baby being stuck in the birth canal. That is the only time I have ever seen or ever heard of contractions stopping with chinchillas... it's a scary thing to have to deal with. Good luck with her.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up