Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cage question  (Read 2218 times)

Nessie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
cage question
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

I just picked up a pair of Chins and was misinformed about the cage size. The cage is way too small for two as far as I am concerned! Anyways I have a tank stand that we built and we are wondering if the size is acceptable. It is 4x3x2, not as big as I want but it could be modified in only a day or two where a complete build would take us longer. If this size is not acceptable can you give me the average size for two? Another question, the inside of the stand has been primed previously so I am wondering if we can line the inside with a smooth tile board? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Vanessa

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: cage question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »

2 x 2 x 2 foot is the smallest you should go for a pair.  Your measurements would be fine.  Tile board can work if they can't get to any of the edges to chew.  Primer paint is safe for chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Nessie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying primed wood is okay?? The only wood primed is the walls so they won't be able to chew the walls as there are no edges to get at. All ledges that we add to the walls will be chinchilla safe wood. Would you just leave the walls as it?? Or tile with the board? I can't imagine having the pair in a 2x2x2. They are currently in a 3x2.5x1.5 and I can't wait to get them out of that cage! They are 2 and 3 and I want to spoil them now. ::nod::

Nessie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

So I decided to buy the board panel and continue with my original plans. The cage is going to house my pregnant female so we are modifying the bottom part to a height of only 18". We'll put a few short ledges in their and there is a lot of floor space for toys to keep momma and eventually baby safe and busy. When baby is big enough then we can open the 1' door that will be in the divider to give then use of the entire cage with higher ledges and chin favorites. My male will remain in his current cage for now to see how he can adjust to single life. If that don't go well tn I will look into getting him fixed.

Arrabella

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »

I have a ferret nation cage that is about six feet tall, four and a half feet wide and three feet deep. It houses just one chin and I consider it to be too small. In the photo gallery of this site, I'm seeing way too many cages that are alarmingly too small for the poor chins that have to live their lives in them. Also, the wire bottoms have been proven to be harmful to their little feet and cause bumble foot. Chin owners need to be less lazy and put in solid bottoms with the correct bedding and clean the cages. I have metal trays covered with felt and clean the cage twice a day. Also, my chin has litter in the corner where he pees. I switch up and wash the felt every other day.

Nessie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »

I agree with the size of alot of the cages. So many house in rabbit cages! This cage that mom is in isnt very tall as I was advised height should be avoided with babies, but there is alot of floor space. I also went with a solid floor. I kept a 1x1' square which is 1x.5" wire so I can sweep out the poop, there is a drawer under the mesh. I also allow my chins to roam for atleast an hour a day to get some exercise and they move non stop so anything less then an hour wouldnt be close to enough! I just wish they didnt poop so much!!! I am still trying to find ways to get them to warm up to me but unless I offer a treat that can't be bothered with me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up