Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Bonding!  (Read 717 times)

Chubbs Mommy

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Advice on Bonding!
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

Hey, yall!

My husband and I got our new baby, Chubbs, about three weeks ago. He's older than what we were in the market for, but we're in Southern Louisiana so most stores don't bring in chinchillas until November. The seller at the pet shop said he isn't quite a year old.
    Anyways, we are needing advice on how to get him to not be so skittish around us. He doesn't particularly like to be held. We play with him almost every night (we might skip a night once a week just because of our work schedules), we try to handle him without being rough, and we talk to him everytime we walk by his cage. Is there something else we can do or something we're doing wrong? Or is it still pretty early in the game? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!  :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Advice on Bonding!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »

Typically what is recommended for a chinchilla is to start slow and ease in. Unlike cats and dogs chinchillas are predisposed to being skittish and do not like a lot of stimulation. It's been my experience with both chins and birds that it is best to try to desensitize them by consistently handling them and trying to read them to see when they've had enough and then try not to reach that point. At the same time you will increasing their tolerance of being handled just by handling them frequently and not to the point where it becomes overly "unpleasant" for the animal. For example a chinchilla that is okay with being touched on the head but not on the back should be petted on the head regularly. Then it will trust you enough so you can can go back from there to the neck and then the back. If you pet your chinchilla under the chin you may stimulate its grooming reflex where it will hold its head out to give you access to its chest. If you keep doing that it will become more comfortable with being touched. Then you can move on to actually holding him.

Now it is also true that individual animals can do things and learn things quite differently so you just have to read the animal as best you can. There is no set formula. Typically for a new chinchilla you would handle them very little if at all the first week you have him so he can get used to his new environment and establish that he has a calm place to live. You may have to take a step backwards here and see how he does. If he won't come to you in the cage (ever) then you should back off for a few days. Chinchillas are more active at night than during the day and often don't wish to be bothered until after sundown. Handling them while they are groggy can add to their dislike of you. Chinchillas are naturally curious and seem to enjoy playing with people on their own terms and usually will come to you at the cage door eventually, especially if you offer them a treat. (and this must be done with great care and moderation) Otherwise they aren't ready to be let out of the cage. Out of the cage they should be in a very controlled environment where you don't have to chase them. Chasing them will add to their dislike of people. Their environment should be quiet and calm as well. You can't do that forever though or they'll never learn to tolerate noise or other people but new things ought to be introduced gradually to reduce stress.

Chinchillas typically do not like to be held. It is against their nature and one of those things they'll have to be desensitized to. Once the animal is bonded with you where it trusts you and doesn't run from you in its cage it's time to hold him in short sessions. It should be done several times a day. After a few days you'll notice improvement and you just keep at it. After several weeks or months you may find it will stay calm indefinitely (as long it is not overheated in your hands), which is my experience with a chinchilla I've been working with since 3 months of age. He'll stay still for up to 10 minutes now. Even if yours never really becomes overly friendly you should be able to hold him long enough to transfer him from place to place or into a carrier to weigh him once a week. I also had decent results with a chinchilla that was about 6 months to a year old (not sure what since I got him from someone who did not know how to take of chins) but it took about a month of intense work before I could hold him at all. He was very wild. I suspect you have something in between.
Also it is early in the game. A year from now your chinchilla should be a lot tamer if you keep working with him. The goal is to make sure he does not have unpleasant experiences each time he is out and pair fear with people and being handled. Chinchillas are very sensitive to noise, motion, and anything that looks like it will swoop down and eat them since they are prey animals by design and constantly watching for danger. As they get more experienced being a pet you'll see those tendencies dissipate but never completely go away.

Have fun with your new chinchilla. They are a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:23:23 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chubbs Mommy

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Bonding!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »

Thank you very much for the advice!!!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up