Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Weather and new dog in the house  (Read 864 times)

moraeslaurinha

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Cold Weather and new dog in the house
« on: July 25, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »

Hello!

I have two questions if anyone could help me, I'm very thankfull!
Everybody talks about the problem that hot weather is to a Chin but I couldn't find a good information about cold weather! It's 10ÂșC here today! I think that's about 50F. Is it OK for my Chin? Should I do anything to give him heat?
My hamsters need more paper to keep warm, but with a Chin I'm not sure what to do. They are not in a place where they can get draft or sunlights... He seems OK but I'm freezing so... Thought I should ask!

The other doubt is that I'm going to adopt a dog Saturday, he is a very calm dog, nice personality, gets along with other animals and he can't reach the Chins cage BUT I'm wondering if the Chin should be introduced to the dog at any time (and how!), regarding that he is still scared of us, I adopted the Chin (and now the dog) after being abandoned and suffered violence from their last owners. The dog is OK but the Chin is getting time to get used to me, I'm very patience with him so slowly he is showing curious and less and less scared...but not sure what to do about the dog because I think my Chin is surely going to feel the dog smell and vice versa...

Thank you all for the help and this great forum that is helping me so much to give a good home for my Chin. 

I'm sorry about the bad English! I'm doing my best  :blush2:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:38:15 PM by moraeslaurinha »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Cold Weather and new dog in the house
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

I don't think 50F is a problem for a chinchilla. I wouldn't be too concerned until it gets to be lower than 40F (4C). AND as long as there are no cold drafts blowing through the cage. I recommend that you don't introduce your dog to your chinchilla until the chinchilla is not afraid of you. It can take over a year before that happens. Basically if your chinchilla will not ever come to you when you approach the cage even to get a treat it is not ready to meet the dog. The smell of the dog should not bother the chinchilla if it has not been frightened by dogs in the past. It will get used to the smell. I think you are doing well communicating. If there is anything you would like me to clarify please let me know.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

moraeslaurinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »

Thank you so much GrayRodent! The dog is here but I'm keeping the Chin in a room the dog wont come in , because I'm also concerned about the dog getting obsessed about trying to figure out what is the Chin so I'll follow your advice and I'll keep them apart until the Chin is used to me. The Chin is coming to me to get treats and he is starting to let me tickle his head a bit while he is inside the cage, so I can see some good improvement!

I don't think the temperature will get this cold but if it gets as cold as you said, should I cover the cage with a blanket or provide him something to get warm? What should I do?

Thank you very much!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 01:42:11 PM by moraeslaurinha »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

If it gets that cold you should have a wooden box with bedding in the cage for it to sleep in. Covering the cage with a blanket probably won't do much. This should be okay down to 2C. If it goes below 2C you must relocate your chinchilla to a warmer room.

Also I am glad to hear you are making progress with your chinchilla. It might not take a year before it bonds to you nicely. Still be careful with the dog. I have a friend whose dog broke into his cage and ate his chinchilla.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:54:27 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

moraeslaurinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »

Ok! Its getting warmer now but its good to be prepared! Wow, thats a sad story. There are two doors splitting them and the cage is in a high place so, not even if the dog learns how to open doors( i think he wont because he is very calm and tiny) he won't be able to reach the cage!

Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up