Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chin, new owner, missing fur, photo...  (Read 3412 times)

Angelia

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chin, new owner, missing fur, photo...
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »

I got Wookie from the store, and I have had her for exactly a week now. I noticed this fur missing after I got her home, and it does not seem to be growing back but I don't know how to tell if it is, or how fast I will notice any coming back in. She seems to be adapting well to her new cage, environment, and to me. I'm not so sure it is stress. I can bring her back to the store and they can "buy her back" from me, keep her for observation, and then sell her to me again... but she is getting used to me already, and I don't want to put her through all that if I don't have to. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks guys,

-Angela

Marip

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
Re: New Chin, new owner, missing fur, photo...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »

hello,

that seames to be fungus, if it's fungus ,i think that's normal if you buy from a pet store or something like that because they don't use anti-fungus on their sand some of them don't put sand at all.

it's not a good thing of course but it's commun so what you have to do is to buy a anti-fungus on a pet store or use athletes foot powder put into the sand mix it's like a coffee spoon on a 1cm of sand and that's it ,will clean your chin .

Angelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »

Thank you Marip! Is Goldbond okay? It smells minty... is that still safe?

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »

No I wouldn't use that, they may not like the smell. Tinactin would be good, use a teaspoon per dustbath (and mix it really well before you let them roll in it).

lilchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 16
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Park Place
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »

Just use a tsp. of tinactin foot powder, for every cup of dust bath. Dust daily, and it might take up to a month before you ntoice anything. However, the fur will start to grow back in and you will notice the skin color change in that area as it starts to heal.
Fungus is usually really simple to treat as long as you start treating it right away. It definitely is fungus, though.

Good luck with her!

Angelia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »

Thanks! I got Tinactin, and she seems to want to eat her dust bath. I won't let her because it says for internal use only... I'm sure it's not good for her to eat. She will roll in it a few times first though.

ohio chinny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »

??? internal or external? you said internal use only? its external stuff that means for use on the outside (like rubbing it on skin), internal means inside, either way, you really have to watch those lables

Angelia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »

EXTERNAL, sorry LOL! Okay so I've been giving her Tinactin in her baths and I think it may be helping but it is so hard to tell... here's another photo:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn108/berrith3/Wookiesleep.jpg

She is sleeping in this pic. The petstore said it is normal for her to sleep like she is dead lol... I didn't even disturb her with the flash or opening the cage. I did have to give her a little pet, which caused her to pick her head up and lay it back down. She has since changed positions to lay on her other side ^_^ I think I wore her out with her playtime tonight.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

It appears to me the fur is coming back in along the edges but the photo doesn't make that clear.  If you are seeing fur growth there is definitely improvement.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Down East Chinchillas

• # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:10 PM »

I've had this issue before, atop of what's already been said I'd like to add that it's normal to take a month for the fur to start growing back in full & it's a good idea to keep the dust treatment up for a month & cleaning a bit more in depth for the month & another option to Tinactin is sublimed seed of sulfur, or powdered sulfur in short. Your chin will be back to chipper looking in no time ^_^
Pages: [1]   Go Up