Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi Chin People  (Read 3310 times)

CrazyChinLady

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Hi Chin People
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

Hi ~
I'm new to this forum.  My little chin family consists of two grey five-year-old chins, Raisin and Daisy, and I've had them since they were three months old. Raisin is your typical sweet, little dumpling girl, but she doesn't like to be held, and will grunt and scream obscenities at me for a few seconds when I do ocasionally, to her dismay, pluck her up and cuddle her at playtime. But if she is going to stand on top of my feet, what does she expect?~~  She settles down as soon as I stick papaya in her pie hole - and once again, all is well in the "Land of Raisin.  Daisy, on the other hand, has personality. When she was small, I nicknamed her "My Favorite Rectangle" because that is what she looked like, only with ears and four feet.  On the other hand, she has such a tight little piglet tail, that when manually stretched out, goes right back like a child's snap bracelet.  I usually call her "CurlyButt".  At playtime, when I yell out CurlyButt!! - she gets all excited and bounces agains walls.  She can't seem to stretch out her tail herself and her back has a permanent fur indention from that curly little excuse for a tail.   When she doesn't get her way, she will pitch what I refer to as a "Daisy-Fit". She gets on her top ledge, stomps her little back feet, crouches into a small little egg shape, hoods her eyes, and proceeds to give me this "I've been violated" look.  I have to pacify her with food of some sort, and make over her, but she makes me work for it....  I usually cause this by doing the kissy face thing, which she has learned, goes a lot faster if she plays along. If I really cramp her style, she will turn completely around on her top ledge so I am now faced with her backside. Giggling at her doesn't help the cause. 
I am looking to buy them a new cage. The cage they have now is a three tier Martin's Cage, but I want a really big one so I can put two hammocks up, and a couple of hidey houses, and tubes and things.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!!  ~

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Hi Chin People
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »

Welcome to the forums!!!  Isn't it funny how each chinchilla has its own personality.  I can tell you have a lot of fun with your two.  I look forward to hearimg more about them.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »

Welcome!!  ::silly::
You can look into making your own or my boyfriend has come across some DIY sites that show how to add on to a cage rather than build an entire one out of scratch! Just remember to be careful and to make sure its safe :) your chins sound so adorable! There are also places to get a cage custom made, I have seen two breeders also make cages (I can give you links if you want).

CrazyChinLady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »

Hi!
Links would be great!!!!!

I thought about making my own - I make the ledges.. over and over.., since my girls seems to think that piddling on my new ledges is really really fun..... lazy furballs.  I'll ask Curlybutt "Must you??? I just made that?"  She calmy looks at me, wipes her mouth with the back of her hand and proceeds to clean her whiskers...

I thought about buying a completely empty ferret nation and being creative....?

I sure wish I know how to make them quite piddling on my ledges, but it's been five years, 'me thinketh' it is too late..

thanks!!!

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

I have a ferret nation right now, I really like it! I found mine on amazon and thats where I'd suggest going for one!

CrazyChinLady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

I was just looking at the Ferret Nation.    I really liked the color and large shape of them.  I'll go on Amazon.
Thanks!!!

glafond

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »

Hi ~
I'm new to this forum.  My little chin family consists of two grey five-year-old chins, Raisin and Daisy, and I've had them since they were three months old. Raisin is your typical sweet, little dumpling girl, but she doesn't like to be held, and will grunt and scream obscenities at me for a few seconds when I do ocasionally, to her dismay, pluck her up and cuddle her at playtime. But if she is going to stand on top of my feet, what does she expect?~~  She settles down as soon as I stick papaya in her pie hole - and once again, all is well in the "Land of Raisin.  Daisy, on the other hand, has personality. When she was small, I nicknamed her "My Favorite Rectangle" because that is what she looked like, only with ears and four feet.  On the other hand, she has such a tight little piglet tail, that when manually stretched out, goes right back like a child's snap bracelet.  I usually call her "CurlyButt".  At playtime, when I yell out CurlyButt!! - she gets all excited and bounces agains walls.  She can't seem to stretch out her tail herself and her back has a permanent fur indention from that curly little excuse for a tail.   When she doesn't get her way, she will pitch what I refer to as a "Daisy-Fit". She gets on her top ledge, stomps her little back feet, crouches into a small little egg shape, hoods her eyes, and proceeds to give me this "I've been violated" look.  I have to pacify her with food of some sort, and make over her, but she makes me work for it....  I usually cause this by doing the kissy face thing, which she has learned, goes a lot faster if she plays along. If I really cramp her style, she will turn completely around on her top ledge so I am now faced with her backside. Giggling at her doesn't help the cause. 
I am looking to buy them a new cage. The cage they have now is a three tier Martin's Cage, but I want a really big one so I can put two hammocks up, and a couple of hidey houses, and tubes and things.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!!  ~

Hello there:

I just got my two chins, I decided to spring for a cage from Quality Cage Company. The cage and accessories are completely chin safe and god for chins. The wheels are metal and the hideaway boxes are all metal with a wood front that slides out. Shelves are wooden and screw to the sides of the cages. You can buy or make replacements.

If it is in the budget I would go with quality cage company, they truely are amazing cages. I would mill around their website they have a section just for chins.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

hi and welcome.. nice to meet you..
i got lucky and got one of my ferret nations really cheap on amazon..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up