Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not interested in bath.  (Read 1922 times)

Chinnypaws

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Not interested in bath.
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »

It might just be a matter of settling in, but my new chinny hasn't paid any attention to his dust bath I set out for him today. Could he just be still settling in?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Not interested in bath.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »

Typically it takes a couple weeks for them to settle in. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. They only need it every few days. I'm amazed at how calm this one is. It sounds like you have a very nice animal.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »

I have several chinchillas who won't take a bath if I am near the cage.  I have to put in the dust bath and leave for awhile.  One in particulate is a very lazy bather. I don't even bother dusting him more than once a week and then I leave the dust in overnight.  He is more nocturnal than most and sometime during the night he will finally get in and do his thing.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Chinnypaws

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

Thanks guys , i will give him time...he is so laid back it's funny, we let him have a run around the front room on his second day.. and he wasn't at all bothered with the dog, who was curiously wagging his tail at him.. Our four year old was getting excited and he just st up casually looking around really bright and cheerful and hopped onto us a few times as well as strolling under the dogs legs.. Hilarious.. I shall have to take a vid at some point. :)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:59:55 PM »

Aww thats so adorable! Both of my chins didn't roll in their bath for the first few days either; but they seem to roll when I'm not there! My newest one also won't eat when I'm around, although now he's starting to eat bits of hay when I'm in the room..just takes time :)

Chinnypaws

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:16 AM »

Aww thats so adorable! Both of my chins didn't roll in their bath for the first few days either; but they seem to roll when I'm not there! My newest one also won't eat when I'm around, although now he's starting to eat bits of hay when I'm in the room..just takes time :)

That's so sweet mojito :) well Sam (newly christened :) even refused a raisin I offered him, which I thought was odd, but yes like your chin he just took a bit of a nibble of hay when I was in the room yesterday (which I didn't know they ate?? Only thought it was for bedding) but the fact he's so comfortable when anyone picks him up is really cool... Now i leave his cage door open and he springs out onto my hand excitedly he's definitely hugely social :) Must watch out that nobody steals him lol.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »

Oh yea hay is really good not only for their teeth (rodent's teeth never stop growing) but its also good to help keep around their natural habits. I always start out with putting the hay on a marble tile I have, and the next time I come around its spread out all over the place! Chins are also foragers so you'll see them 'dig' in the hay and eat it. I dont' think its a problem at the bottom just make sure to look out for soiled spots since that can make them sick.

Your new guy sounds a lot like my new guy! He loves being held too and falls asleep on you, we call him 'lumpy' sometimes because hes just like a big lump of fur you can hold! Thats so awesome you and your chin are getting along so well already, its an amazing bond!
Oh and also just make sure you're room is chin-proofed if you keep your cage open, or when I keep it open I have giant cardboard walls I put around and make a play area. I posted the pics up in a diff topic I can give you the link if you want as an idea :)

MelC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

I also have a chinchilla I got from a breeder that does not love to take baths and her fur shows it. The only thing that has worked is to place a larger bowl with dust and walk away. or go out for a bit. only way she will touch it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up