Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thinking about getting 2 chins!  (Read 2734 times)

Chim-Char

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
thinking about getting 2 chins!
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »

I am considering getting 2 chins but I am looking at prices right now and trying to find the least expensive way to get one without risking the health of the chins since i am a college student. What is the difference between getting a baby chin and maybe an older chin or rescuing or adopting one? Are they still as friendly? I would love a baby chin but since the prices are like 135 for 1 chin..i can't really do that.
Thanks!
Chim-Char

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: thinking about getting 2 chins!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »

If you want a chin that has the greatest chances of being healthy you might want to see if you can find a local reputable breeder. Getting a baby will give you the greatest chance of it growing up to be friendly towards you. Chins tend to do better alone so you don't have to get two.

It is not uncommon for older ones to show up on classified ads like craigslist. The biggest advantage is that you can usually get the cage setup with the chin for very cheap. Just make sure it's an all-metal cage or you really should get one. Plastic cages can be chewed and the pieces can cause bowel obstructions.

The big downside is that you won't always know what their lineage look like, as health problems can be inherited from bad breeding practice including tumors, heart problems, and seizures. You will want to make sure they have had the right diet and unlimited access to chew toys growing up, since wrong diet and lack of chewable items can cause tooth problems that can be very expensive to manage and are not always curable. It is always best to have a vet check their teeth before you buy an adult.

If they came from a good home and are used to being handled they'll be plenty friendly. But with chins it may take a couple weeks of them getting used to their surroundings before their true personality comes out. Some have a better predisposition towards people than others regardless, just like any other animal.

It's best to save up so you can take the chin to a vet if it needs it in addition to the cost of all the accessories otherwise you'll be risking the health of your pet.

Hope this helps
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »

It really depends on what your expectations are.  If you are content with a chin you interact with in its cage or on the floor of a small room an older chinchilla would be great.  If you want a pet you can hold and carry around the house you need a baby.

A baby will bond with you.  A baby will let you show it how you want to hold it and you will learn together.  A chinchilla over 5 months old is set.  If it doesn't like to be held it will most likely never like to be held.  It might learn to trust you and come to your hand.  It might learn to climb on you but it will not ever enjoy the feeling of being held and carried.  It will show you what you are aloud to do.  Period.  

Now I am not saying that you can't get cuddly adult chinchillas, however, whatever the current chin owner is able to do with the chinchilla is all you should expect.  You want to be realistic.

Remember that chinchillas can live to be 20+ years.  If you really want to own a chinchilla you shouldn't rush.  Chinchillas do not like change and you don't want to rescue a chinchilla just to find it isn't personality isn't what you had hoped.

:)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »

Yeah, I guess my expectations aren't that high. I would love to have a chinchilla that enjoyed being carried around. That seems like a tall order to fill.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »

:::grins:: You would surprised at what a chinchilla would enjoy when you get one from a baby. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »

I have gotten a 3 month old from a pet store as well as a 10 month old from a breeder. The adult is not as playful but loves to be held; where as my other one is more playful and less cuddly so if you don't get a baby I would look at their personalilty and how their owners took care of them :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up