Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla keeps biting me..  (Read 9727 times)

Ninetalez

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla keeps biting me..
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »

I have had my chinchilla for two days now, although I've previously owned two other chinchillas, and never had a problem with them biting me. The first day she was perfect. Now the second day in, she takes every moment she can to bite me, to the point where I almost bleed. When I got her, the owner said that her father was a very aggressive chinchilla, but he got along with the mother just fine.

I read up on a few things and someone said that pushing back on the chinchillas mouth would confuse them, and could lead them to stopping that biting habit?

She is only three months old, and I want to stop this bad habit before it gets worse. Because I am planning for her to house with other chins in the future.

Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla keeps biting me..
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

Leave her alone for a few days , she is traumatized by something.The move, new sounds new smells.She afraid.She'll be around for a long time, just slow down and take it easy.You've removed her from all she knows, you have to prove to her that you can be trusted.
Debbie.nl.ca

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »

Yes she needs to warm up to you. She is biting out of fear.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Angelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »

I have a related question...

My new chin, Wookie is biting me too but only when I rest my hand in her cage and after she sniffs it. It's like she is curious and not trying to hurt me - she lets off as soon as I pull away or say "Owie", but then goes after it again when I'm still. Is it possible she will make this a habbit, and should I be doing something to discourage it?

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »

could she be looking for a treat angela.. my girls do that.. haha.. they nibble on my fingers cuz they think its a treat.. they are piggies tho. no one else does it
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »

Angelina: What you are experiencing is the more or less gentle test bite. Every new object encountered is sniffed then nibbled at to determine if its edible. She could be smelling food on your hand and mistaking you for it.  When chins really bite they can draw blood. They usually give plenty of warning before biting too.
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

floundaflound

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

I got my chinchilla a couple of weeks ago his name is Sanchez and he is three but for the first days I would speak to him softly and let him sniff me but he would occaisionly nip my fingers but from what I know its because they do test new objects they encounter.

ChizzChin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »

Hey hun,
My chinchilla passed away last Tuesday.  But the first week I had her as well she was VERY aggressive and biting me every chance she got as well.  I didn't try to take her out the cage or anything, just doing simple task as giving her new hay and water.  I went back to the Petstore the following Friday after I got her because I was gonna give her back because she stressed me out that much.  She bit me all the time and she was so little that she would get out of her cage.  They told me to give her a couple more days to see if she improves.  The next day I let her out myself instead of letting her slip out herself.  She was a TOTALLY different chinchilla, she was all over us and being the best baby.  She never bit us again (unless we had a little scent of food on our hands).  I loved my baby so much and I miss her more than anything.  Enjoy your baby while you can.

R.I.P. Chizzy

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »

Are you saying the chinchilla got out of its cage whether or not she was locked in?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up